Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby room temperature during summer in HKG

cristletips is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    So last night i turned the air con on the coldest setting which ended up being 21 according to the thermometer. I was freezing and understandably so. I freeze when the office is that cold too. My baby was in a longsleeved sleeper and a jacadi growbag (i still dont know which 'point' the jacadi one is.... does anyone know?). Anyway, she seemed comfortable. I'll need to put thicker pyjamas on myself.

THis temperature thing still boggles me though and is frustrating!!! When i grew up in Connecticut we didnt even have an airconditioner. We used a fan during the hot summers. Like JennyB was saying, it's different here in HK versus other places in the world and we are acclimated to different weather.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    Nanzbier, I'm sure babies in colder countries sleep happily at that temperature also, so she's probably fine. (I think you are supposed to check body temp elsewhere on the body than hands - maybe chest or back of the neck?) If your child sleeps happily then you won't want to change anything, but just think what she is getting used to. Your elec bills will be high forever and she might find it harder to cope with the heat outside, if she spends so much of her time at cold temperatures.

BLC is offline Registered User
    My little girl was born last April. So she was still very young during last summer. Her room gets very hot so I would put the aircon on to cool down the room before she went to bed. Then turn it off and put on the fan. She would sleep in her short sleeve body with no legs/feet, most of the time she wouldn't have a blanket on either. The room would seem really hot but cooler where she was laying because of the fan. The reason I didn't use the aircon is because I didn't want her to get used to it and therefore always be uncomfortable in hot humid weather. She is now a year old and we have another summer, so I shall see if it works for her again.

shahirakk is offline Registered User
    Repulse Bay, Hong Kong
    Aaah! this is all really scarey - We move to HK from the UK in June and my baby is an English baby with his 1.0 tog sleeping bag in 18-22C room - He wears a short sleeved bodysuit and sleepsuit with feet.
    How can I get him used to the HOng Kong weather, both indoor and outdoor??

nanzbier is offline Registered User
    Dongguan China
    i am now having my daughter wear 0.5 tog with long body suit (without feet). Room temp 19-20. She seems much better.

MamaT is offline Registered User
    I have my 5 month old in a 0.5 tog bag with only a nappy on and no aircon on. The therometer says it's between 24 and 27 degrees in her room, which I realise is quite hot, but her body seems only warm and she doesn't sweat wearing this little. Am I taking a risk here? The grobag thermometer says it's ok... just.

Our aircon doesn't have a temperature gauge on it so we can't regulate the cool air properly and it blows really hard onto her cot.

We're moving back to the UK at the end of this month... do you think I can get by like this or should I resort to aircon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12