Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Pollution a problem for infants/babies?

Neha is offline Banned
    Yes the pollution is bad in HK but there are kids and adults who are fine and have no problems and there are some who cant deal with it. Each individual is different. U have to make a decision yourself. We know people who came here from USA on 2-3 year contracts and could not deal with the pollution and left after their contract ended and there are some who have stayed on. U can come here and see for yourself how bad or good things are.

Best of luck

Georgi-b is offline Registered User
    I think you should take a more rounded approach to the situation. So the pollution is bad - we or our children may contract asthma, or something worse but doesn't the adventure of moving to Hong Kong and all the advantages this will bring make this a calculated risk? Every decision we make has huge consequences. I think thinking less about the details and more about the whole makes for a better decision. And if you do decide to come I'm sure you will love it x

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I am hoping that, like many illnesses, that there is a genetic predisposition to asthma and other lung problems. If we don't have asthmatics in the family, I am hoping the short-term exposure to these pollutants (short-term as in the course of a lifetime) don't cause any permanent damage.
    I am not sure the "adventure" and "advantages" would outweigh the health aspects if lung problems were a certainty. Or even if there were a history of lung problems in the family or if someone already had asthma/lung problems.

jjmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I am hoping that, like many illnesses, that there is a genetic predisposition to asthma and other lung problems. If we don't have asthmatics in the family, I am hoping the short-term exposure to these pollutants (short-term as in the course of a lifetime) don't cause any permanent damage.
    I am not sure the "adventure" and "advantages" would outweigh the health aspects if lung problems were a certainty. Or even if there were a history of lung problems in the family or if someone already had asthma/lung problems.
    I agree with Sleuth. And the south side is definitely a lot better than mid level.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmum View Post
    And the south side is definitely a lot better than mid level.
    South side would be better than mid level/central because there are less roads/cars (so ground level pollution is less) and the upper air pollution is mostly coming from China or out of the N and W. So S and E is the better side of HK for pollution.
    Unless you live near that power station outside of Aberdeen, then your pollution is largely determined by prevailing winds.

HappyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz1975 View Post
    Hi All,

We are considering a move to HK and will have a 2-3 month old (our first). I have been doing a ton of reading on the pollution problem in HK and wondering if anyone has information about the potential health risks to babies? How "real" is the problem? I live in NYC, and heard that the pollution is 50% worse in HK. I am concerned that our baby could develop long term health problems like asthma, etc.

We hear that mid levels are great for young families, but I'm wondering how the air quality is there? Is it better on the South Side?

Thank you for your help!
    Hi Liz1975

I suggest you can also consider the Clearwater Bay and Sai Kung Area... I think they are even better than Island South as far as clean air is concerned.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

pollution sucks big time

We live Southside, Tai Tam and still the pollution is bad. Admittedly not as bad as many other areas but still bad enough to make me feel guilty every single day. We will definitely be getting out of here as soon as we can and i believe that the 'adventure of hong kong' simply does not make up for putting your kids health (and your own) at risk. There are many other cities where you can live as an expat and have adventures without the same risk.

My two year old has had a bad, unrelenting cough for 2 months now. The doctor said it was pollution and that he also might be developing asthma and allergies. Great. My husband and i are constantly coughing and i often have very sore eyes and know immediately when i leave the house if the pollution is bad because you feel it in your eyes, lungs and on your skin. I hate to think what it is doing to my kids immunity levels, the battering they are taking and what it will mean for them later in life.

HK is not all that anymore as far as expat postings go. You shouldn't have to give up having clean air to breathe for any amount of time. The fact that HK does not use the global standard for measuring pollution says it all.

Speculator is offline Registered User
    I spend approx 4-5 months per year in Hong Kong and during that time, I am constantly coughing and feeling unwell. I remember last year, it got so bad and I had to go to the hospital because I thought I had Pneumonia!

I live in a rural village just outside Sai Kung Town centre surrounded by mountains and trees but I spend most of the day in the city.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast