Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Pollution a problem for infants/babies?

Neha is offline Banned
    Quite agree with hannah.e.law.Pollution is bad but not that bad that it is unlivable

MLBW Guest
    Some people can handle breathing smog but the stats show that people are getting sick in Hong Kong from the pollution. No matter what, pollution isn't good for us. Hong Kong Island isn't the most polluted place in HK, actually--on HK Island I find that there is usually at least a breeze from the sea going on--try living in the New Territories or anywhere away from the sea. I just think it's shameful that such a progressive city as HK that there should still be such a dirty coal-burning plant just flying below the radar. It's pretty sad.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    No personal problems for me (or my family either). Some days I notice it looks pretty bad, on others it seems fine. I play sports in Happy Valley and it doesn't me either. But we don't have any respitory issues in our family, we live on the South Side and we don't plan to be here for the rest of our lives, I am not extremely worried, although I do believe efforts should be made to improve the overall situation, not just in Hong Kong.

If my children had severe issues, we wouldn't have moved here in the first place, because then it would not have been worth it. If their situation changes, we'll look into it, but so far, I think it's not going to be a problem. We've been very lucky so far, in general they're pretty healthy children.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Hannah, ingesting any poison into your body will affect your health. You might not feel or notice it today but it will happen down the track. I'm quite surprised that you don't notice it, it's everywhere you look and certainly particularly on the island I feel it in my lungs, on my skin nearly every single day. Perhaps it's more a case of you simply getting used to it.

I think it would be remiss to try and deny how bad the pollution is here. If we deny it then there is no motivation to change it. Imagine how lovely HK would be with a lower level of pollution.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    Hannah, ingesting any poison into your body will affect your health. You might not feel or notice it today but it will happen down the track. I'm quite surprised that you don't notice it, it's everywhere you look and certainly particularly on the island I feel it in my lungs, on my skin nearly every single day. Perhaps it's more a case of you simply getting used to it.

I think it would be remiss to try and deny how bad the pollution is here. If we deny it then there is no motivation to change it. Imagine how lovely HK would be with a lower level of pollution.
    Aussiegal, I agree. Poison is poison and ingesting it affects our health. I am especially wary because of my son. For example, when I was pregnant, I would walk down the street in HK and constantly have cigarette smoke blown in my face. I choose not to smoke for a reason--namely because cigarettes contain known carcinogens and smoking them leads to cancer. However, now that HK has made the move to ban smoking in eateries (and eventually some bars), people are smoking more outside. I literally could not get away from it. So, I felt quite angry because I was like, "I am choosing not to smoke for the health of my child but still people are blowing second-hand smoke into my lungs and I can't escape it!" I feel the same way about the corporate air pollution in HK. I don't ever want to "adjust" to breathing dirty air.

neil_g63 is offline Registered User

Lets be rational here

Yes, pollution is a concern, but last time I checked it killed less people than tobacco, alcohol, cholesterol and driving whilst on a mobile phone (ok, maybe i lied about the last one). But c'mon now, if you wrap yourself and your kids in cotton wool, how are you ever going to live. Enjoy life whilst you can.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I agree with Neha. The pollution is bad - no question about that. However, it does not render HK unlivable. I am asthmatic and my asthma is no worse here than at home. We had a bit of a panic recently thinking that my 11 month old son was also asthmatic but it turns out that the wheezing was behavioural - i.e. he found he could make a funny noise that would would get him lots of attention. My son gets coughs and colds but no more than the children of my friends in Australia. The only caveat I would add is that I have only been here for 6 months so perhaps haven't seen the full effect of the pollution problem yet.

HK is an excellent place to live. There are so many things for kids to do. Living in HK also gives you the opportunity to have a live-in helper is great for both your marriage and your relationship with your kids as you get to have a break when you are frazzled! My husband and I moved here 6 months ago with a 5 month old baby and we love it here.

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwes View Post
    HK is an excellent place to live. There are so many things for kids to do. Living in HK also gives you the opportunity to have a live-in helper is great for both your marriage and your relationship with your kids as you get to have a break when you are frazzled! My husband and I moved here 6 months ago with a 5 month old baby and we love it here.
    Gives SOME people the opportunity. Not everyone can afford that and not everyone has the room to have another body living with them--or likes to have another body living with them.

I don't think that HK has that many things for kids to do. It certainly doesn't have much grass or safe places for them to play (well, I haven't been to too many of the "gated communities" in HK so maybe inside of those it does). Sure, if you've got bucks to spend, there are tons of things to do anywhere. I am definitely biased as I have lived in a place with clean air and nice parks (as well as handicap ramps that can be used for a stroller). Apart from the shopping malls and all the classes parents put their kids in--I don't see a lot of benefits for kids to live in HK. But, as usual...that's just me....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast