Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby slings?

Kimmi is offline Registered User

baby slings?

I was thinking of purchasing a baby sling for my baby due end of May. My only concern is the heat we have here in HK and carrying the bub around outside in the sling. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this matter. Ideally I think having a sling or baby carrier in HK is great and Im also planning to breastfeed, but if the sling is going to be too uncomfortable for baby and me mabe I shouldnt buy one. Any advice would be appreciated THANKYOU

Last edited by Kimmi; 04-11-2006 at 11:39 AM.

rani is offline Administrator

Hi Kimmi,

We used a Baby Bjorn and I remember it was really hot for D and I. I would think a sling would be better.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Slings are the way to go! I have three and I still carry my toddler around in one. The non-padded cotton ones are thin and breathe, but I definitely recommend keeping baby's head out and maybe only a diaper on when it's really hot. I wouldn't be able to survive without one in HK as there are so many places that strollers are inconvenient.

I only got my first one when my baby was 3 months old so she had head control by then, so I'm not sure if you will be able to keep baby's head out as well when he/se is a newborn. I think as long as you don't cover them with the tail then they should be okay. For breastfeeding it's amazing, especially for HK as it covers so well, but when it's hot I would recommend nursing where there is air-conditioning as it gets way too hot otherwise. When they are working so hard to nurse they get so hot and being covered is not comfortable.

Have fun! You will LOVE slings!!!

jessieywl is offline Registered User

I can't go anywhere with my baby without a sling! And, she just loves it - she falls asleep every time when she is carried in it! We have a stroller but I can't manage to open it on my own, let alone carrying it around.

I've got a BabyBjorn and it is very easy to use. Though it's really a bit hot to carry the baby around in the summer, it just makes going out so much easier.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I used a mayawrap sling when my babies were small and found it wonderful and much cooler than other types of slings because of the lack of padding. You can use them from newborn to about 30 lbs. In fact I brought my baby home from the hospital in one.
    Look on their web site at http://www.mayawrap.com/p_mayawrap.php
    I know that La Leche League in Hong Kong sells them, http://www.llli.org/HongKong.html
    Best wishes,
    Barb

Thanks ladies for the advice, how much are these "mayawraps" to buy here in HK?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

La Leche League in Hong Kong sells the mayawrap slings for $400 to members and $450 to non-members. Each one comes with a DVD or video explaining how to use it.
    If you are interested please contact:
    Sarah in Mid-levels - 2548-7363
    Maggie in Happy Valley - 2817-7475
    Julia in Discovery Bay - 2259-3311
    or [email protected]

Many thanks Sarah, I will get intouch with Julia soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast