Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Water weight or what?

Bumblebzz is offline Registered User

Unhappy Water weight or what?

Lately i don't know whats going with my body...I have gained 4 lbs in 1 wk!! Is this possible at only 20wks?

I'm not eating more than usual, but my hands, feet, face (well everything) is soo swollen & puffy. It's uncomfortable & kinda painful (I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands as well)

I'll try cutting out salty foods and drink more water (key word is TRYING...I do love my salty foods) and I'm not very good at drinking much.
    Normally (pre-pregnancy) I would maybe have 3-4 drinks in a day. I just don't feel thirsty.

So anyway, between retaining alot of water and gaining a few unneccesary lbs when I went back home (shame on me!) I feel huge! (happy I'm preggers, but huge none the less.)
    I think I've already gained something like 20-25 lbs. that seems like ALOT this early on.

Should I start watching my caloric intake so i don't put on an excess amt?

I sure don't want to look like Orca the whale by the time this child is ready to arrive!

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I think you should ask a doctor about this kind of thing! But I know you should definitely drink more water than when non-pregnant, and that lack of water can make water retention worse.

Poppy is offline Registered User
    I am on week 10 on my second.

On my first, I experienced exactly what you have described - I was huge by 20 weeks and I didnt feel like I was eating that much more than usual. It was water retention! Like you I enjoyed salty foods (especially white bread with lots of buter) and I didnt ever feel the urge to drink! I felt happy to be pregnant but have no fond memories of the feeling of being pregnant - just fat and uncomfortable and lethargic!

This time I have made a concience effort to eat healthily - wholemeal bread with light spreads, fresh fruit and vegatables, chicken, and 2 or 3 times a week red meat ... and most of all at least 4 litres of water every day. I also go to the gym 4 - 5 times a week for a light work out.

It has made such a difference I cant begin to tell you! I love being pregnant this time and I know just know it is to do with my diet.

carang is offline Registered User
    4 litres might be overdoing it a little....2 litres should be MORE than enough!

you must pee a hundred times a day!

when are you due poppy... i'm due March 3, 2007 with my second (my first was due march 4, 2005)....

Yep - peeing has become a bit of a problem lol

I think the drinking water is also to do with the weather: I have only lived in HK since January (moved from UK). At the start of the pregnancy I got terrible headaches and the only thing that stopped them was about 4 litres of water (one of those big bottles you can buy). I actually need to pee right now lol!

Wow! I am due 1st March, how exciting! Where are you planning to deliver? I have pretty much made my mind up to go to Adventist. My first Lily was born 23rd August 2004 (I cant believe she is two this month!!!!!).

Its really nice to met someone in similar circumstances - i crave female input, all my friends seem to be male here!

i'm stuck with QMH again... no insurance and can't possibly afford private, but boy, i wish i could! i'm jealous!

only been here since january! that expains the h2o intake!

i've been here 11+ years already! can't believe it! i came for a 1 week holiday and never left (except for other holidays!)

where do you live?

Ah yeah, we have little choice but to go private - my visa application is still hovering around somewhere in the system! We have done the maths and recon it will be ok ... well, it will have to be lol

It will be a step up from Derby City hospital where I had my first - what a nightmare! 54 hour labour (from pre labour contractions (very painful ones) to birth), no nurse came to me when I realised I was sitting in what seemed like two litres of blood in my bed for about two hours (couldnt move because of epidural leftovers) and a drip that started to leak into my arm and midwives who all had different opinions on how I should hold and breastfeed my own baby!!!! ... They say the second is always easier dont they? Please say it will be easier lol

Wow, 11 years? It sounds so romantic - and adventurous! And here's me missing home like crazy after just 7/8 months!

We live iin Tai Koo Shing (Quarry Bay).

What about you?