Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bringing maid from Indonesia

javaman is offline Registered User

We are moving to Hongkong soon and we have a maid that been in our family for a long time. Since we have a small kid (almost 3 yrs old), we want to bring out maid along with us to Hongkong. Do we have to go through agency for her (my maid) or I can do all the paperwork ourselves. Also what I wanted to know is how the maid handle the personal tax info. Will it by us (employer) or by herself?

Any information would be very great.

butterfly is offline Registered User
    Only indonesian allowed to apply the maid themself, otherwise you have to go through an agent.
    Last edited by butterfly; 04-24-2006 at 12:14 PM.

rani is offline Administrator
    The Indonesian agencies are terrible. They charge helpers a placment fee which can be as high as $25K. You will also have to pay $3-5K.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

To butterfly: I am Indonesian myself. Is that mean that I can do it without going through agency?

To Rani: thanks for the info. BTW, your name is very common in Indonesia.

Also I am excited to come to HKG and since as well there is a good comunity for parent (for quick consultation). If you want to see my family pic, you can go to : www.pbase.com/javaman_idn

butterfly is offline Registered User
    javaman- Selamat Datang!
    Im sorry Im not sure the procedure myself.But I know roughly...from wht I gather from other thread.

There are two aspects to this.
    1/HK immigration. Relatively straight forward as you MUST use the HK immigration contract - it stipulates what the minimum wage, accomodation etc is. the DH must have at least two years experience (a letter from past employer?)
    2/Indonesian consulate rules. Unless the employer is an Indonesian national you will have to use an agency to process the Indonesian 'administration' work.

But bear in mind, your helper will not be able to speak cantonese and doesn't know her way around than if you get a helper that is already been working in Hk before

Thanks butterfly for the info. It is true that my maid will not be speaking Cantonese but we don't mind as our maid has been with the family for long time and we are comfortable with her.

I am also pleased that I can apply directly (although it will be difficult) as paying for agent can be even worse. Anybody here from Indonesia?

dulce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by javaman
    We are moving to Hongkong soon and we have a maid that been in our family for a long time. Since we have a small kid (almost 3 yrs old), we want to bring out maid along with us to Hongkong. Do we have to go through agency for her (my maid) or I can do all the paperwork ourselves. Also what I wanted to know is how the maid handle the personal tax info. Will it by us (employer) or by herself?

Any information would be very great.
    Is your maid her first time to be in Hong Kong? If yes, you really need an agency to process all the documents for a Direct hire case.

dulce is offline Registered User
    Hi Javaman, employers who apply to employ FDHs are require to pay an Employees Retraining Levy . The levy payable is HK400 per month multiplied by the number of months covered by the employment contract. The levy payable in a lump sum of $9600 or Four equal instalments of $2400 each. with the first instalment before visas are granted.