Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IUI treatment and timing

JuliaJ is offline Registered User

Unhappy IUI treatment and timing

Hi

I have just had my fifth IUI treatment and was interested in hearing from anyone else who was having his treatment. I am also taking clomid and have HCG injection to stimilate ovulation. For four treatments I have had the IUI just a few hours (same day) after the HCG injection, however I read that IUI should be carried out 24 hours after the injection as the sperm wash used in the IUI is thought to live only 6 - 12 hours???

If anyone has had similar experience and got pregnant, or have timed there IUI after 24 hours I would like to hear from them.

Thanks!

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I got pregnant on my 5th attempt - all IUIs were done 36 hours after the HCG injection - this I was told was the norm. It is also commonly done between 24 - 48 hours - depends on the doctor. My 1st attempt was on clomid and the rest on gonal-f as I did not respond very well with clomid. Maybe you should speak to your doctor about trying gonal-f which you can inject yourself.

Have you had your tubes checked (laproscopy) to make sure that they aren't blocked? I had to go through this before I could take the IUI treatments.

Just over 3 more months to go for me - it was frustrating for me with my failed attempts - each time with tears. On my 5th one, I was really under alot of pressure as my sister-in-law suggested I should try chinese medicines which I never believed in as it would be a slower approach to getting pregnant due to balancing your hormones out first. I'm glad I didn't listen to her in the end. I would definitely go for IUIs again.

bbvv thank you so much for replying to me. Yes I have had the laparoscopy done and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong re. fertility-wise. My doc keeps pushing ivf on me which I am not keen on at all and so he wants to move to ganadotrovin (?) next month (again because of the potential negative effects of clomid) but I do not see much point if the IUI's are not being done at optimum timing.

Can you tell me who your doctor is because for three cycles my IUIs have been scheduled just two hours after the HCG shot which seems to be pointless? I would really like to get a second opinion. I am really starting to lose faith in my doctor and as I heard the clomid can cause a harmful environment to sperm (with normal intercourse) I wonder if I will ever get pregnant using this doctor for IUI.

Also my cervical mucus and uterus lining has not been checked so there is no proof that I am having bad reactions to the clomid and I wonder if tests should be done before I start on ganadatrovin? Did you have these tests?

Would really love to hear from you I am sure you know how frustrating this all is. I have only been trying for twelve months with five months using fertility treatment and already it is unbearable. I started treatment early because they found a deformity. My chance of miscarriage is very, very high so I want to get pregnant asap before I consider an operation. Any advice much appreciated!

Btw a big heartfelt congratulations on your good news. It is encouraging to hear that others have been through all this and finally had some success!

Hi JuliaJ,

I used Dr Philip Ho based in Hing Wai Building, Central - he's one of the highly recommended doctors for fertility issues. He can be quite pricey though but you will find that it will be worth it in the end. Call Kelly, his assistant on 2899 2293 - she is very helpful and also ask her about the charges as well. Average cost for my IUIs on gonal-f were around HKD12,000.

As my doctor only put me on clomid once there weren't any test taken but I hear that clomid can make the cervical mucus hostile to sperm so one should drink grapefruit juice or eat baby carrots (info I found on the internet) which makes the sperm to swim easier in the cervical mucus. My follicle growth with clomid was slow hence the move onto gonal-f, my doctor did not want to waste time on more attempts with clomid if I was not reponding to it well in the first place.

Gonadotropin (Gonal-f is one of the brand names I used) which you mentioned in your message is a human follicle stimulating hormone that is injected - how much is injected depends on the follicle size - the doctor will closely monitor this.

Thankfully my doctor did not push me into ivf as he normally try 6 attempts of IUI before moving onto this. Ivfs are more stressful.

Anyway, if you do see Dr.Ho, make sure you take copies of your IUI records with your exixting doctor as this will speed up things. Good luck and let me sknow how you get on.

Hi bbvv

Just wanted to let you know that I got pregnant on my break from the doctors! I used the ovulation predictor kit and still can't believe how it happened because I ovulated on day 16 and only have a 25 day cycle. I guess maybe this was the problem (short luteal phase?) and I have just been lucky this month. My doc never gave me a test to check this and it was only my friend who is also a gyno who suggested it might be a problem. Don't ask me why I didn't ask her first - at the time I just wanted to keep it private!

Well I am a little nervous as I have a septate uterus and this was part of the reason that my doc wanted to speed up the conception process. That might mean increased miscarriage or premature birth, but for now I am just thankful that I can in fact get pregnant without ivf.

Well you must be due soon so best of luck!

:bighug

Congratulations JuliaJ, I'm so happy for you! I can understand the privacy as I felt a bit of a failure having to go through IUI. Anyway, none of this talk anymore.

I was advised by Kelly, my doctor's assistant not to eat papaya, soya bean products and choy sum (vegetables) for the 3 months to avoid miscarriages. Friends says to avoid "cooling" food products as well.

Are you still seeing the same doctor or change to another one?

Yes, just a couple of months before I am due - baby boy is very active - kicking and punching everyday especially after I've eaten and before going to bed. I sure you will enjoy these in due course.

Take care and ENJOY

Sparkle is offline Registered User
    My upcoming doctor's appointment will be on next Monday. It is expected to be my day 3 of the upcoming cycle. Does anyone think it will a bit late for starting an IUI treatment. To be honest, it will be my first consultation with doctor on the IUI subject.

hobbes is offline Registered User
    Yes, it is late because it is unlikely he will start you on clomid or gonal-F on your first visit as he will probably want to go through some tests first. Have you had your FSH tested? And HSG? Carry all your past paperwork. All the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast