Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

PKU Testing Question

rchwallace is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

PKU Testing Question

Hello All,

We have just entered parenthood and our little guy is scheduled for a PKU test. Does anyone know if this is a standard test in Hong Kong or is there any reason for alarm.

Thanks in advance.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    A phenylketonuria (PKU) test is a blood test done to determine whether a newborn has the enzyme to metabolize phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is an amino acid that is needed for normal growth and development. It is found in most foods containing protein, especially milk.

PKU is an inherited disease caused by the absence of the enzyme that metabolize phenylalanine. It is not common but is very uncommon in Chinese. So the PKU test isn't always a standard test here but it will be if one of the parents isn't Chinese.

The blood sample for PKU is usually taken from your baby's heel (called a heel stick) within 2 to 3 days after birth. A urine PKU test is done on a baby who did not have a blood test and who is older than 6 weeks.

Best wishes,

TeamNZ is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    We have just realised that our little one (now 4 weeks) didnot have the PKU test as they do not do it at POW.

Has anyone else been in this situation, should I be concerned and try to find out if there is somewhere else to go?

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi R,

We had the PKU test done on our baby born at the Matilda. I remember them telling me (like Barb mentioned above) that it's usually only tested if one or both parents are westerners as it isn't common in Chinese. So if you and/or your husband are a westerner then I believe it's fairly routine to test for it.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    My 2nd was also born at POW.
    We took him to Union Hospital at Shatin to have the test done.
    From memory I think it was $500.