Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeling Guilty

arkcocoon is offline Registered User

Unhappy Feeling Guilty

Dear all

My son is turning three months old next week and I've decided to stop breastfeeding him then. Its a difficult decision but one that must be made since I will be returning to work very soon.

I know its best if I could continue to bf my baby but expressing whilst at work just simply isn't an option... plus I do need to travel as well...

I'm trying so hard to tell myself not to feel guilty about this but I just can't. I know of so many mums who've bf their babies till they're one or even two years old!! If you've been through this and know how best to cope with such guilty conscience please share with me.

Thank you all.

arkcocoon

Joyce is offline Registered User
    Congratulations for breastfeeding your baby. You've already given your baby the best start in life. Working and breast feeding is possible but it is really, really hard work and you have to be really committed. I have heard of mothers (never actually met any) pumping while on business trips and bringing the milk home but again, it's a personal choice. At the end of the day, you know yourself and what you're able to do. I breastfed my two children before switching to forumal when they were older, and although I honestly believe that breast is best, a whole generation of people (including myself and my siblings) were brought up on formula and we've turned out ok :) Once you see that you baby is fine and thriving on formula, you'll feel less guilty and you might actually welcome that fact the the father is able to feed baby too.

Giving up breastfeeding can be quite an emotional process and the fact they you have breastfed is fantastic! Hope this helps.

rads is offline Banned

Unhappy me too

hello arkcocoon,

I know exactly what ur feeling...I had to do with my first one & now I have to do it again.....BUT i try to tell myself it's better than not having fed my babies ever...I travel a lot as well so It won't be possible for me to express...I start work in 10days and I'm hating it...but on the plus side ...it's also a wonderful time for my hubby to bond with our baby as he can feed her too & loves to do so everytime he's home....

Sylvieng is offline Registered User
    Hi!

You shouldn't feel guilty ! You've already breastfed him for 3 months, so you have been giving him the best start in life.

Better that than nothing ;-)

Jng
    Jng is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I have been through many such moments of feeling guilt as a Mom. Especially when you feel that you have not done enough for your child. These days, I learnt to go easy on myself and tell myself that I did the best I could given that situation in time.

It is not easy being a Mom let alone you are working as well. You have already given your baby the best start in life by b/feeding him.

Keep well.

arkcocoon is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Although I still feel guilty about it...
    I guess though motherhood is not just about how long you bf your baby ... hopefully I can make it up in other ways....

icecube is offline Registered User
    I am starting work soon as well, and thinking of stopping to b/f. But I have tuned myself to only express two times a day. So I will try expressing 2 times a day before and after work. But I am still struggling about whether I should be spending more time with her rather than expressing after work. Maybe you could try that too?

undecided is offline Registered User
    Dear,

guilt is the last thing your baby needs. if you're not confortable stopping, do it little by little and express when you can.

I worked for UNICEF and the consensus there is babies take the most of bf during the first 6 months. After that, it is really not that vital. You will have bf during three months, and you can continue bf before and after you go to work and gradually stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast