Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maternity Insurance

joannek is offline Registered User
    i had my baby at the matilda 3 mths after my sis-in-law had hers at Adventist.

at adventist. if u wanna bf, u have to be assertive of them not giving your baby water/sugar water at night, and tell them NOT to give formula. cos every mom told me that they always ask you whether you wanna give your baby sugar water/water the 1st nite. whereas at matilda,they're more supportive of breastfeeding. and they cup feed their babies instead of bottle feed.

adventst feels like a hospital, and matilda feels like a vacation. adventist is more convenient if hubby wants sth to eat - 5mins fr happy valley. at matilda, u'd have to order rm service (their rm service is pretty good, my hubby had a burger. i, of course, had chicken ginger rice brought from home)

oh, & sth i really like about mailtda. as a first time mom, i always had problems after we went home - feeding, baby crying, baby's poo color, etc at the wee hours. i think i called matilda maternity ward 10 times during the first 3 mths. and twice or 3 times were at 3 am. all my questions were answered with patience, and concern. that's sth i'd pay the extra for.

but of course, the down side is that it's so far away. (which is good for me, cos i didn't want any visitors)

at adventist, only mom is allowed in the baby rm, and allowed to push baby out. dads r not allowed. at matilda, both mom & dad allowed. adventist, they only show you once how to bath baby. at matilda, they show u everyday until u're ready to try, at canossa, i heard they show u w/ a doll (??) & w/ other parents.

rani is offline Administrator
    I had a totally different experience at the Adventist.

The mid-wives were excellent. Followed my bith plan to a T. I breastfed. D was in the nursery for the 1st night and they brought him to me every 4 hrs for feeding. Didn't need to be asssertive.

The Adventist cafeteria serves only vegetarian food. Patients are given meat, and I used to order a 2nd tray for my husband. The Asian selections were really yummy.

Both my husband and I were allowed in the nursery. They showed us how to bathe the baby once, and the following day we had to do it on our own.

I joined the well-baby clinic at the Canossa after, so would call or visit if I ever had any questions, or have the baby weighed.

Overall, the Adventist was great. Its not a hotel for sure, but the care/facilities are top-notch.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

joannek is offline Registered User
    i didn't join the well baby clinic of matilda. i just called them when i had problems cos when i left the hospital, the nurse told me to call if i have any problem with my new baby.

anyway, i'm sure adventist is also a very good hospital. they even have a jacuzzi in the birth room.

but sth i don't know, when u check in at adventist, do they let you stay in the birth room already, or you wait in your own rm until your final labor to go into the birth room? at matilda, i check into the birth room upon arrival before they even checked how far i was dilated.

my friend also told me that there was no tv in the canossa birth rm. she thought she was gonna watch tv while she waited for her baby to arrive (she was on epidural) so she didn't prepare anything to entertain herself during those several hrs. (and her husband wouldn't go in with her to wait) so she was just lying there doing nothing for several hours. i don't know about adventist (i think they have a tv)? at matilda, they have tv, cable, dvd players in the birth rm, although i didn't use any of those (i brought my own cd player to play hypnobirth music to help me relax).

one more thing, i don't know about the other hospitals. my mid wife stayed with me throughout while i was waiting to be fully dilated (maybe i was in during off peak hrs? that's why she had the time to stay w/ me?), which was reassuring.

Yes at Adentist they take you straight into the labor room which has TV + Cable. You're assigned a mid-wife as soon as you're admitted. Mine didn't leave my side either. She was brilliant!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

blessing is offline Banned
    Folks,

Thanks for sharing the info. Isn't this forum great!!! But anyone has experiences with Canossa? They seem to be so conveniently located compared to the other two. But none of you chose Canossa so there must be a reason.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    My due date is the end of the year and am starting to consider my hospital options. I have insurance with William Russell and would like to know the potential cost to me (i.e. my 20% co-share) with a private hosptial.

Rani's earlier posting with breakdown of costs was very useful as we use the same insurers (pleased that 100% of paediatrician costs is covered). My insurance covers 100% cover for 'Complications of pregnancy' (up to $75k) and I wonder what constitutes a 'complication'.

Emergency CS for sure, but what about associated anaethetists/epidural costs (which also occur for normal births) and others such as forceps/vacuum delivery (separate charge incurred).

Blessing,

I didn't choose the Canossa cos I heard it was a bit outdated. However they've recently renovated the maternity floor, so definitely worth taking a tour.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

My husband and I are also trying to choose a hospital; our obstetrician delivers at Matilda, Adventist and Canossa. I asked him for his opinions on all three and he recomended the Matilda and Canossa, based on the quality of their nursing staff. He was pretty adament that the Matilda and Canossa had the best nurses, he seemed very wary of those at the Adventist. But this is just his opinion.
    Our obstetrician reccomended the Canossa because we live in DB and the Canossa is a lot closer to the ferry pier than the Matilda and a lot more accessible- but I want the Matilda!
    Prices of all three hospitals are very similar, there is at most a few thousand dollars difference between them; our obstetricians fees are the same regardless of the hospital.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast