Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Maternity Insurance

Belly is offline Registered User

Wink When should i get the maternity insurance ?

I am quite confused about the maternity insurance. They usually have a waiting period for 10-12 months. So, when should I get it though? Before pregnancy or during?

As the insurance only cover for 12 months, it usually takes longer than one year to trying a baby till deliver. How does it work out? Do you need to buy two years insurance to cover the cost?

thanks!

:bighug

Buckeroo is offline Registered User

Smile

Gave birth at the Adventist. Had pretty much the same experience as Rani. The nursing staff were great --very helpful and supportive! Did not need to be assertive about b'feeding --they were, in fact, very encouraging. They cup-fed (no bottle) my LO the first night when my milk wasn't in yet... Showed us how to bathe baby more than once until we felt comfortable enough to do it ourselves (and actually showed the nurse while she watched and gave pointers). Dad CAN go into the nursery, even on his own --without mom! Booked a semi-private room, but had the room all to myself the whole 5 days I was there. :groupwave:

undecided is offline Registered User
    This is an older thread, but it was great to read it. I'm shocked at the prices!

I was at Matilda for something else and out of curiosity I asked about the prices. Compared to Rani's breakdown they seem a lot more... the Private Room at HKD35K (as compared to 27K) and epidural HKD4,500.

Rani what's the difference between the epidural and the anesthetist epidural?

I have BUPA and we're capped at about HKD70K/year. I thought this would be more than enough, but it does not seem so! And I don't know if they cover pediatric care...

Matilda seems to be really pretty and easier to reach from the South side. I have not visited the Adventist, but would really avoid the Canossa, as earlier in the year they admitted mishandling a friend, who passed away of heart attack there. I know that there is nothing to do with the maternity, but I would not trust them.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I think the best thing to do is to actually go and visit the hospitals- and take a tour. We recently visited the Canossa and Matilda and found the visits really useful- you get to talk to the nurses and midwives, you get a feel for the hospital, the rooms, the nursery etc.

I wasn't keen on the Canossa after our visit- for example they only let the baby room with you if you have a private room (our insurance covers everything but only if I have a semi private room), whereas at the Matilda the baby automatically rooms with the Mother, regardless of wether you are in a private room, semi private room or ward room. I really want the option of having the baby be with me.

Also while the nurse at the Canossa said she they were supportive of breastfeeding she also said they would feed the baby if the Mother was too tired- some Mums might appreciate this, but I don't want them feeding my baby, and I got the impression that if they decided I was too tired to feed our baby then they wouldn't wake me.

However at the Matilda, they will not feed your baby, they made it very clear that they have nothing with which to feed the baby, and as someone who believes very strongly in breastfeeding this was great for me.

Also at Matilda each room (regardless of what kind) has chairs for breastfeeding; at the Canossa I was told I would have to breastfeed in the nursery, even at 3 in the morning!

So in terms of what's important to me, the Matilda came out as the forerunner, we have yet to make an appointment with the Adventist to visit. But visiting the hospitals makes it much easier to choose!

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by undecided
    Rani what's the difference between the epidural and the anesthetist epidural?

4K is for the drug and 16K is for the Dr to administer it.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

undecided is offline Registered User
    Thanks Rani!

crj
    crj is offline Registered User
    Insurance

Allianz covers 100% of costs - they covered me for private room at matilda, all scans and visits, etc... It total is was over 100K. They cover for all complications as well.
    If you by Allianz, get there worlwode ex USA policy as it is cheaper and do not get their special 'asia' plan as that puts a limit on maternity insurance.

good luck.
    crj

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123