Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Advice Pse! Travelling w/ 4m baby to Bali

cheeky is offline Registered User

Advice Pse! Travelling w/ 4m baby to Bali

Hi

Has anyone taken a baby to Bali before?
    We are planning our very first trip with our 4mth baby and we are going to Bali. I am very nervous as its our first baby and it will be our very first trip on the plane, we would like to seek advice on the following:-

1. will the bottle water be safe in Bali to make milk formula?
    2. how we should sterlise the bottles in the hotel?
    3. what should be take on our trip for the baby?
    4. the plane journey, any good advice?

Appreciate any comments or experiences!
    Thanks
    Cheeky

Happybaby is offline Registered User

Hi Cheeky,

We took our little boy to Bali when he was 5 months old. I was really worried about the trip but it turned out to be no problem at all.

Re 1 and 2 I can't help you as I am breastfeeding.

3. In case you want to take him/her out in the sun, take sunscreen, sun hat, sun glasses, light shirts with long sleeves, light long pants. Otherwise a nappy is all your baby needs. Ours had his nappy off most of the time and was VERY happy. Take some swimming nappies in case you want to take him into the pool or sea. A mosquito net for the baby cot might be a good idea, we didn't bring one and our poor little one got bitten really badly... Bring plenty of nappies and other basic supplies, then you don't have to worry about finding your brand in Bali. Bring the usual sleepwear and bedtime toys.

4. The plane journey was no problem. I fed him during take-off and landing, he slept in his bassinet, when he got bored we carried him around. Lots of interesting things to see. Bring plenty of nappies for the plane journey in case your baby's digestion speeds up, and bring 2 or 3 sets of clothes to change. Bring a hat, socks and warm jacket in case it is very cold on the plane. Be sure to bring favourite toys to distract your baby.

Otherwise, just relax, it will be fine.

Have fun in Bali - we really enjoyed it.

Happybaby

cheeky is offline Registered User

Happybaby thanks so much for your response. I hope our vacation will be a fun one too.

Lucky you could breastfeed. I'm still very worried about bottled water in Bali and I'm not sure whether I should bring over a suitcase full of watsons water from HK!!

crj
    crj is offline Registered User

2. Steralise:
    Ask your hotel about either providing a microwave in your room, or having access to one.

Then you can use microwave steraliser bags to steralise your baby bottles, etc...

You might want to look at the Samsonite pop-up travel cot, it has a full mosquiteo net. they sell it at bumps2babes.

4. Plane
    Bring extra clothing for you too in case you need to change!
    Feed on take off and landing.

Enjoy!

crj

odm_post is offline Registered User

1. Buy a reputable bottled water. In Bali, I don't think you can find "Evian", but "Aqua" is a good brand. According to me, as long as they're sealed, then it should be fine.
    Boil the bottled water with the electric jug usually provided in the room, keep in a thermos - it's a good investment to get one since you don't know for sure the quality of the water or kettle used, even if they boil it for you in the restaurant.
    Then bring another bottle of water (of room temperature) to mix with the formula.

2. I used to the sterilizing tablets while staying in the hotel. Just buy a cheap PLASTIC container over there, then you can leave it in the hotel (if can't fit in the suitcase) when you leave. You can't use metal container when using sterilizing tablets. Rinse the bottles with boiled tap water (to get rid of the chemical smell/taste).

3. Beware of the mosquitoes! Bring spray/cream recommended for young babies. Bring 2-3 long sleeves and long pants, just in case you need to go out after dark. Mosquitoes there are vicious and merciless in the night time.

Hope this helps

mammalicious is offline Registered User

where do you find microwave sterilsing bags pls????

crj
    crj is offline Registered User

Microwave Steralise Bags - I got mine in the UK, Lindam brand, but they seem to be licensed from a Japanese brand - check Mothercare WingOn and B2B, they might have them.

We also used Milton Steraliser Tablets - they are available at ParkNShop and very easy to use.

We just came back from Bali.

The cars, even from 5 star hotel, did not always have seat belts in the back - so had to wedge the car seat behind the driver seat :( The saving grace is that the fastest speed is 30kph.

The samsonite baby travel cot was superb with the mosquito net - we put it inside the cots the hotel and villa gave us - baby just thought it was home! (we use it here too)

Very baby friendly - everyone will help if you need it - from holding the baby to anything else. Restaurants gave us table with space for the baby and nobody even looked when I breastfed.

We also went to a baby shop called Klandys in Tuban - pretty good, we got some light weight blankets and cute outfits very cheap. Klandy and other shops carry an Indonesian brand of baby toiletries called Zwitsal (in yellow packages) and they have a Skin Protector for babies 6 + months with Citronella for moaquitos - we bought some to bring back here.

In Matahari mall behind the Galleria DSF shop there are some kids stores like OshKoshBGosh with cheap clothes.

Have a great time, and be careful of the strong sun.

crj