Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ideas for schools in Clearwater Bay Area

canadamom is offline Registered User

Unhappy Ideas for schools in Clearwater Bay Area

I will be relocating from Canada to the Clear Water Bay area of Hong Kong in August and I am a little concerned about schools for my 6-year old. I have been told that there is no space at the local ESF school and a local contact suggested both the International Christian School and the Delia Schools of Canada. Either way, my son is looking at a 50 minute commute by bus - which concerns me so much that I have also considered home schooling him.

I would appreciate any suggestions about schools and bussing that you could provide.

Thanks

kellyst is offline Registered User
    we live in the Clearwater Bay as well, out baby is only 8ths. but for 6y.o. i don't think home schooling is legal in HK starting at that age, i think school is mandatory starting Primary 1.
    my previous neighbor works at International Christian and her kids go there as well, and they seemed to be quite ok, i'm considering that school for my child as well. but that seems to be one of the closer int'l school that will work, the other int'l schools are even further away. keep trying at the Clearwater Bay School and push your case, there might be room for negotiation depending on the background of your case (language, relocation etc.)

canadamom is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I have been searching the web for info on homeschoolers in Hong Kong and was beginning to suspect that it was not done (either for legal or cultural reasons). Thanks as well for the endorsement of ICS - it is helpful.
    I'm not sure how pushy I can be with the ESF school - they are quite adament that there will not be a space. Right now I am just emailling them once a month and trying to be very fawning. It doesn't seem to be getting me very far. Any suggestions?
    I'm also concerned that taking a space at ICS will further reduce my chances at ESF. But I can't wait much longer before nailing things down.
    We will be living at the HK university of science and technology. In addition to our six-year-old boy, we have two girls - a four year old (enrolled at Abacus) and a two year old.

bunbun is offline Registered User
    I have sent two sons(8 yrs and 6yrs) to ics.
    Do you know that ICS will buy a debenture at the time of entrance into a school?
    The price of the first child is about HK$60000.
    It is said that a new school building is built near the station of Sheck Mun of the Ma On Shan line of KCR.
    From kindergarten to a high school becomes together.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    bunbun, i'd like to know more about your thoughts with ICS as well. how has the experience been with the school? did your sons started at ics when they're much young at ICS? the new school building is one of the attractive factors for me in sending my girl there.

bunbun is offline Registered User
    Hi, kellyst
    The first child began to go a grade 1 to the second child frequently from K1 at ICS. Since we were not Christian, it was a correct answer that the meaning which gets used to the Bible also enters a school from early inside. All teachers are Christian and are only tender-hearted persons.
    Although the 3rd child is also needed for me, of course, it sends to ICS.

Vrindavan is offline Registered User
    CAIS - near Kln City
    http://www.cais.edu.hk

The Hong Kong Homeschool Meetup Group
    http://homeschool.meetup.com/530/

NCE
    NCE is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by canadamom View Post
    I will be relocating from Canada to the Clear Water Bay area of Hong Kong in August and I am a little concerned about schools for my 6-year old. I have been told that there is no space at the local ESF school and a local contact suggested both the International Christian School and the Delia Schools of Canada. Either way, my son is looking at a 50 minute commute by bus - which concerns me so much that I have also considered home schooling him.

I would appreciate any suggestions about schools and bussing that you could provide.

Thanks
    Persevere with the Clear Water Bay ESF school, HK is very transient and people are always leaving. In the first instance ensure that you are on their waiting list, keep in regular communication with the admissions person. Even if you don't get a place for this coming Aug, you could decide to take a place elsewhere on a short term basis and wait for a place, something will come up it is a matter of time. Alternatively another school worth considering is Rennaissance College, the new ESF private school. Again I suspect it will be full for the coming Aug, but get your details on their waiting list. The only admissions requirement for both of these schools is that your child can speak good english. Another good school worth contacting is the German Swiss International school http://mygsis.gsis.edu.hk/, recently they announced that in 2009 they are having to relocate their primary school to the New Territories and there will be children who live on HK island possibly dropping out as the journey to school will be too far for them. However you child will have to do one year in the current location on the Peak. There is a bus from Clear water Bay. This school is likely to be full for the coming Aug, but it is worth making contact with them. Another school some clear water Bay residents chose is the Australian school http://www.aishk.edu.hk
    Finally, and this may sound like a strange suggestion but please have a look as it as it is a fantastic school: http://www.hkjs.edu.hk/~jises/index.html. The Japanese school has an international stream, the headmaster Mr Simon Walton is lovely. They should have places available for Aug, although no bus service from clear water Bay, you could car pool with other students. The class rooms are small and the school facilities are good. I hope the above helps. We have just been through the whole process and getting a school place here can be difficult especially for new arrivals. Good luck!