Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

bottle feeding while travelling

cheeky is offline Registered User

bottle feeding while travelling

hi

We are plannning a trip to either Phuket or Bali with our 4 month old baby and are seeking advice on whether we should bring a suitecase of watsons bottled water to with us to make her milk formula? has anyone made formulas for their babies with other bottled water purchased in Phuket or Bali?

What is the best way to prepare my baby's milk while on the flight.

Looking forward to hear from experienced parents travelling babies and any other tips for us to survice our first holiday!

Thanks!

joannek is offline Registered User
    i started giving my baby evian/vittel & other brands of mineral water when she was around 5 mths. she's breastfed, so i didn't need to make formula, so i just gave her once in a while. i know they're not supposed to drink regualr mineral water on a daily basis, but i just wanted to let her try to make sure that she's ok w/ them if we travel. cos u can find evian practically anywhere in the world. but when u're travelling w/ a baby, u have so much stuff to bring, u won't mind bringing one more case of water. ;)

i recommend that u DO NOT use the water from the plane to make the formula. i guess u have to bring one big bottle on the flight.

odm_post is offline Registered User
    I usually just buy whatever bottled water found in that place. Make sure it's a brand that you know, like "Evian" - don't know about Phuket, but in Bali "Aqua" is a good brand. If you can't find a particular brand, then just make sure it's sealed!

As for the hot water, I find a thermos is a really good investment! Had used it to all my 3 kids - either to mix formula or to dilute their food later on. Usually hotels would provide an electric jug in their room, so boil some before you go out. Just make sure it's properly boiled, not just heated up. It'd last longer as well.

And in the plane: I packed a bottle of water + the thermos (already with boiled water from home) + formula for the duration of the trip. I know most airlines carry bottled water and they'd be happy to help you prepare the bottle, but I'm not very sure how clean their hot jug is! Just my own thought! That's why I'd rather carry my own water.

Hope this gives you some ideas....
    Good Luck!

cheeky is offline Registered User
    Thanks you guys this is really useful. I cant wait to go on our first family holiday but at the same time am very nervous about the trip!

joannek is offline Registered User
    fyi, we were in phuket during chinese new year, & we can only buy evian in one big supermarket in phuket.

turtle is offline Registered User
    Just a little note based on my experience, we have just been to Koh Samui with our 6 month old daughter. Don't forget to take extra formula in case you spill something by accident or if the flight is delayed etc. I bought a half-can from Mannings and had it in my hand carry just in case. We found Evian without a problem there and she was fine with it, but if you are worried I'd take a couple of bottles with you until you can find Tesco - the big supermarket there. Depending on where you are staying, it might be on the way from the airport to your hotel so it might be worth a stop on the way to the hotel?

To be honest, more of a problem could be how to sterilise while you are away. I made friends with the ladies in the kitchen at our hotel and they were fine with me coming in and out each day. Although you might think me paranoid I did take my own saucepan with me, simply because I was worried that one from their kitchen might have had chilli oil or something still in it...

Hope this helps and happy holidays!

rads is offline Banned

Smile

hello cheeky,

I've been to Phuket with my son when he was 4 months old & to Bali with both my children last month...chk with your hotel before hand if they have a bottle sterelizer or u will have to carry ur own..also I suggest boiling the mineral water IF it's not a known brand....also do carry the bottle brush & bottle cleaning liquid...to clean the bottles & Do carry extra formula...just incase u don't find ur brand

Maybe carry just one bottle of water with u till u find water at a supermarket of ur too tired to go out right away....

Have a great holiday....
    Last edited by rads; 05-11-2006 at 10:19 PM.