Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Montessori Playgroup - Children's own workshop

spsmok is offline Registered User

Hi run4fun,

Thanks for the info. My daughter goes to another Montessori classroom in TST, and I made some of the Montessori material by myself which she's been using at home. Since I haven't had formal Montessori training, I guess it's always better to know more. And as you said, it's better than none.

Sandy

run4fun is offline Registered User

Hi Sandy,

I couldn't agree with you more. This distance learning course that I am doing is all theory, very little practice and familiarization with the use of the material. So for the exact same reason like you, I want to send my kids to a proper center / classroom on the side.

Where is the center is TST? Is it good and reasonably priced? I definetly won't change to other center. I think kids need stable environment. I just want to pass the info to a freind of mine who lives on the Kowloon side. I only know rani mentions a playgroup that use Montesossi, and that's on HK side as well. Thanks advance for your info. As you say, it's also good to know more.

run4fun.

spsmok is offline Registered User

Montessori classroom

Hi run4fun,

The Montessori classroom in TST is called Best Concept. You can check out their website: www.bestconcept.net

I sent my daughter there because I heard good response from another parent. But I can't as yet give you any comment as my daughter's only been there for 2 months. And parents aren't allowed at all. For my daughter, she only stopped crying for mom last week.

I'm currently paying HK$2,100 for 8 2-hour classes a month (on top of the annual membership fee.) Classes are conducted in English and Mandarin. This is not a regular nursery or kindergarten, and the teachers notice things that would otherwise be neglected - in my daughter's case, how she uses her fingers. You can have your friend call for a trial class.

Sandy

Thanks so much for the info, Sandy.

Twinsmammie is offline Registered User

Hi run4fun

I am quite interested in their playgroup and would like to know if they do trial session at Children's Own Workshop. Besides the class fees, are there any additional costs such as registration fee, material costs,etc? What is their policy regarding missed lessons and enrolment like whether a deposit is required.

Thanks in advance

Hi Twinsmammie,

I am not sure about their other classes, but for the 2 classes (Montessori and Creative Writing) that my sons are enrolled in, there are no additional charges besides course fee.

They have trial classes for some of the classes, but I am not sure that include the montessori classes or not.

Why don't you talk to Josephine directly? She is the owner and she is a sweetheart. When she is not busy, I could chat with her forever on kids and education. See the thing is, if you ask a nanny to bring your kid there, you probably won't get a trial class. But if you could bring your kid there yourself, I think it won't take you much effort to get a trial class. She is very nice to talk to.

My sons rarely miss classes there, and for the time that we missed, it was problem free. They are quite understanding. For example, at one point, my girl freind wanted my 2 yr old to go to COW more often so our sons could attend montessori together. I tried a couple of weeks and felt that my 2 yr old wasn't ready. I told Josephine that I wanted to take it slowly. And I am now back to normal. She was very understanding, and was not pushy at all. I am quite happy with their quality and attitude.

Hope this helps. =)

Last edited by run4fun; 05-25-2006 at 07:19 PM.

chowie is offline Registered User

Montessori at home

Hi,

After reading your msg, I'm also inspired to do a distance learning course on the Montessori method so that I can facilitate his growth at home too. However as I surf online, I discovered that there are many different provider and not much governance as it is not patented... which course are you doing and how much does it cost. Do you find it effective now that you have gone thru it? And how long does it take? Is it applicable for 6mths old babies?

Thks!
    :bighug

Rather than sending him to a full-time Montessori Preshool, I am taking a distant learning course on Montessori on the side so that I can use the Montessori Method myself. In fact, the Montessori Method can be applied to many areas not just within classroom. I am planning to set up a Montessori corner at home for my two kids. We can get the really good quality materials form Montessori HK or very reasonably priced ones from China with acceptable quality.

My friend passed me some info on a mom who home school her kids with Montessori Method. I can't go to that extend, but it sure gives me the motivation to do a much simplified version. Check it out:
    http://get-me.to/monthome[/QUOTE]

Hi Chowie,

I know exactly what you mean. Some institutions claim to better and more prestigous than others, even teacher take sides on their own organizations. And just as you have said, on top of the cofusion, there is no proper governance.

AMI and MMI are probably the most reputable organizations. Thier certifications are recognized worldwide. However, none of them have training centers in Hong Kong.

I am taking a course from NAMC. they collaborate with the YMCA of Hong Kong to offer both the Infant/Toddler (0-3) and the Preschool/Kindergarten (3-6) diploma Montessori Programs. Here is the link:

"http://www2.ymcahk.org.hk/member/pdf/TeachingDiploma.pdf"

The official website of NAMC is: http://www.montessoritraining.net

Cheers,
    R.U.N for fun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast