Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Montessori Playgroup - Children's own workshop

adachan is offline Registered User

Montessori Playgroup - Children's own workshop

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the Montessori playgroup at the Children's Own Workshop in Causeway Bay on Hysan Avenue (above Starbucks)? I plan to send my little one there so any feedback would be helpful. Thank you !!!

Ada

run4fun is offline Registered User

I have sent my 2 year old boy there for a month by now. He goes there twice a week. Being used to playgroups, he had an attachement issue at first, he couldn't get use to not having anyone accompanying him in the classrrom, but he is adapting quite well. He learned quite a lot there. In just a month, he mastered a number of activites including the transfer cotton ball activity, fitting various cylinders into the right holes of the blocks. He had so much fun last week help building and walking into the maze with the red stairs / red rods. I am quite satisfied with them.

The only thing is my son has two teachers for the weekday class and for Saturday. Although they are both very qualified teachers, and they have lesson plan and a indiviudual file for my son, I wish they could be the same person. I took some time to talk to their Saturday teacher. She got her degree from England. She is very sweet and she explains lots of thing to me in details.

For those who believe in the Montessori system probably think that a couple of hours a week is not enough, but hey, it is better than none.

Last edited by run4fun; 05-16-2006 at 12:12 AM.

adachan is offline Registered User

hello run4fun,

Thanks for your comments. The playgroup does not allow parents to accompany the child ? How long does the playgroup last ?

Have you considered sending your son to a motessori preschool ?

Hi Adachan,

It's one-hour session. One person may accompany the child, if necessary.
    But eventually, children need to be on their own. For the moment, my son has no problem as long as my nanny is at the corner within his sight in the room. Hopefully, we can move the nanny out of sight in the near future.

Well, my son goes to Hilltots Playgroup every morning and Children's Own Workshop in the afternoon. He loves it, it keeps him busy and he is very happy. I like the current arrangement.

Rather than sending him to a full-time Montessori Preshool, I am taking a distant learning course on Montessori on the side so that I can use the Montessori Method myself. In fact, the Montessori Method can be applied to many areas not just within classroom. I am planning to set up a Montessori corner at home for my two kids. We can get the really good quality materials form Montessori HK or very reasonably priced ones from China with acceptable quality.

My friend passed me some info on a mom who home school her kids with Montessori Method. I can't go to that extend, but it sure gives me the motivation to do a much simplified version. Check it out:
    http://get-me.to/monthome

Last edited by run4fun; 05-18-2006 at 12:10 PM.

jli_99 is offline Registered User

Can I have the contact of Children's own workshop

spsmok is offline Registered User

Hi run4fun,

Where can you get Montessori material from China? I got some toys and books from Montessori HK and it cost a fortune.

Thanks for sharing the link. It gives me some incentive to set up a Montessori environment.

Sandy

Hi Jli 99,

Children's own Workshop
    Address: Room 501, One Hysan Road (Above Starbucks)

Think their number is: 2504 4833. If it's not right, I will check the next time I am there.

Cheers.

Hi Sandy,

I can tell you that people are selling them on Yahoo Auction (Hong Kong) under "蒙特梭利". I don't feel comfortable posting more here (without a disclaimer) becasue I don't know whether they meet any safety standard and I have no personal experience in buying or using them before.

Again, don't set your expectation high. See, my girlfreid from whom I heard all these from says the manufacturers even shrunk some items in size. Hope you know what I mean.

I have a 2 yr old and a 5 yr old and I am worried that the 2 year old will still put toys in his mouth. Therefore, the way I do it now is sending my kids to Children's own workshop. They have nice material and proper teachers. I get an idea of how and what interest my sons and which area my sons need to improve on, and then I will buy those from Montessori HK and play with them at home. Paying 1280 for 8 hrs is very reasonable. I mean less than 150/hour versus Montessori Schools that cost arm and leg!!?? Unlike many other parents in HK, we the middle class, needa save up, coz' education could get so expensive later on. =p

Last edited by run4fun; 05-22-2006 at 01:37 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast