Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

frontfacing carseat

kellyst is offline Registered User

frontfacing carseat

baby is 7.5mths now and the rest of the family is dying to graduate her to the bigger, front-facing carseat. i said we have to wait til 9mth/20lbs.

i've read on a website today that it's 12mth AND 20lbs, she is petite, not at all uncomfortable in her rear facing carseat (though hubby and in-laws keep wanting to get her to the bigger seat)

when did you move your baby to the front facing seat? also, have just read today that the safest location is 'center' in the back seat? i've been putting her on the side back seat. lots of conflicting info out there, interested to hear what do moms here do?

Sara is offline Registered User
    We don't have a car here, but back in Canada the rules are rear-facing until 12 months or 22 lbs/10 kgs, which ever comes first. And yes, the recommended preferred location is center back seat, for either the rear or front facing one.

rani is offline Administrator
    I remember reading somewhere that if you have airbags in the back than the carseat should be in the center. I've got mommy brain today, I think D was on the side. I was afraid to put him in the center.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

yltam is offline Registered User
    We waited until our child reached 10 kg before he was placed in the front facing car seat in the back, centre position. We always had to entertain him with toys, sing-alongs, stories etc.

leekevp is offline Registered User
    I can't remember when I moved my daughter to a forward facing seat - somewhere between 6 and 12 months. She was too long for the rear facing seat - but thinking back probably not at the correct weight.

Carseat is safest in the centre - it is further from the likely places of impact. I must admit to not placing my daughter there until we changed cars - as our first car only had a lapbelt in the centre and I didn't think this was safe enough to hold the carseat. Also in Australia the carseats have the additional anchor point so they are safer to have in the centre even if you only have a lapbelt. Cars in HK don't come with the anchor points installed (normally) and it's hard to buy a carseat that meets this standard - I think only Australia has this a a legal requirement.

Having said all of that I'm about to move my daughter's seat back to the side - bump #2 is making putting her into the centre of the car much too difficult!!

In HK I think you're ahead of the game with regards to child safety if you even have a car seat for your child!!! It horifies me to see people driving around with their toddlers on their laps or worse yet climbing all over the car.

Toland is offline Registered User

car seat issues

One other thing to know is that if you have rear seat airbags, they should be turned off if you have a car seat in the backseat. I was told this by the GM of service for BMW as the impact of airbags could also be fatal to a small child. For BMW, they require the dealer to turn them off and on so that they can keep a record of this.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    oh good point Toland. thanks, i'll look into it with the service dealer.