Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Daily milk intake

icecube is offline Registered User

Question Daily milk intake

My baby is 3 mths old and she started not eating well at 2 1/2mths. She used to take 3oz 8x breastmilk a day. And she went down to 3oz 6x a day. If I insisted to feed more to her, she would cry. I took her to see the doc, and she was all healthy. The problem is, she is not gaining enough weght. Does anyone has a similar problem?

joannek is offline Registered User
    maybe she's got gas, and can't take anymore milk. have u tried massaging her tummy w/ olive oil? rub olive oil between your palm vigorously until hot, then gently massage her tummy clockwise.

how's her poo?

and are u the skinny type? some people eat less & some eat more. same for babies. have u tried feeding her maybe an oz or 2 between feeds?

Leyma is offline Registered User

Milk Intake

Quote Originally Posted by icecube
    My baby is 3 mths old and she started not eating well at 2 1/2mths. She used to take 3oz 8x breastmilk a day. And she went down to 3oz 6x a day. If I insisted to feed more to her, she would cry. I took her to see the doc, and she was all healthy. The problem is, she is not gaining enough weght. Does anyone has a similar problem?
    My baby decrease her milk intake last week when I went back to work. She used to take breast milk and 2 bottles of 3oz a day and only breast milk at night. Now, She drinks 2 to 3 oz of Milk 3 x a day and Breast Milk at Night. Do you think that is enough for her? She is 3 months 18 days old.

Thanx joannek for your advice.
    I found that if she takes more than usual one day, her milk intkae will decrease significantly the next 2 days. So I am careful not to overfeed her. But I give her about 2 oz, then she stops to play and then she has another 2.5oz in about 30 to 45 minutes time.

Leyma, my baby drinks Similac. On the can it recommends 120ml/4oz 6x a day. But I think every baby is a bit different.

TRT
    TRT is offline Registered User
    Icecube - probably a million people have told you babies will take what they need. I was in your position not so long ago and I know this does not help how you feel right now but really it is true.

So long as your baby is healthy - weight gain does not matter. She is building up less fat cells now so she will have less worries later on in life with weight problems.

My baby was borne with extremely low birth weight. I used to agonise over how much he put on every week. He did not fall ill until he was 11 months. He is now a year old, very cute and healthy.

Relax and enjoy your baby.

AmRa6 is offline Registered User
    Dear Icecube,

Much much easier said than done, but try not to stress tooo much over it. Our daughter was born about 50 percentile but she always had a very small appetite. I don't remember the specifics exactly by month but even later on it would be a good day for her if she would have 18-20 oz.

We were really stressed because she wasn't putting on much weight and her weight percentile kept dropping and eventually fell off the chart (below 3%). Our doctor told us repeatedly as long as she was active, happy, and healthy not to worry about it (it lowered the stress a little bit but not much).

Well, now she is 2 years old, still doesn't eat much - hates milk, still is around 3% percentile in weight, but she is healthy, happy, active, smart, and talking non stop.

Sometimes I still stress about how little she eats but there was a recent study that said fat babies turn into fat adults so from a long term perspective its probably a good thing she is petite.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    You may be interested that the World Health Organization has just published new grow curves available at http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

Generally these new curves show that the old curves had babies growing too fast, especially at 12 and 24 months.

New curve figures at 12 months: 7.3 kg, 8.9 kg and 11.0 kg
    Old curve figures at 12 months: 8.0 kg, 9.5 kg and 11.4 kg
    (5 percentile, 50 percentile, 95 percentile)

New curve figures at 24 months: 9.4 kg, 11.5 kg and 14.2 kg
    Old curve figures at 24 months: 10.2 kg, 12.0 kg and 14.6 kg
    (5 percentile, 50 percentile, 95 percentile)

The new curves are based on a huge study with the premise that the gold standard in infant nutrition is exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and continued breastfeeding after the introduction of appropriate complementary foods.

SARAH

THANX everyone for sharing your experience and information.