Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tips for drilling & new baby?

jane01 is offline Registered User

Tips for drilling & new baby?

I have a 10 week old baby and our next door neighbours have started renovating their flat. Drilling is going to be pretty constant for at least the next few weeks. The whole renovation is going to take 3 months. Needless to say her already dodgy daysleeps have been interrupted. She is hopelessly overtired by the end of the day, which means she doesn't settle well at night.

The drilling is sort of off and on, so it isn't like I can put her down when it is either on or off. As soon as it starts up again, she is startled by it (understandably).

We have agreed a certain lunch break with the contractors, but a 10 week old isn't that predictable.

I already have white noise on in her room (to block out the noise of my 3 year old) but there is no way it blocks out drilling.

Anyone have any tips? My only thought is to go back to Australia for a month or so ! It is getting a bit too hot to go for a walk with the pram everytime she needs a nap. Do they get used to it?

cristletips is offline Registered User
    I have drilling, jackhammers... well an entire village house coming down and then going up again about 15 feet from my baby's window. I know how you feel! It's like torture.

I also had the road completely redone, and a new road put in... surrounding my property. It borders my front gate. It began in October and it is still continuing. I guess we have all gotten used to it. Then i get to hear the renovation where I work! TORTURE!

But if I were you and had the choice to go to Australia I'd do it!! :)

Thanks for the sympathy ! Your disturbances certainly sound like they have been going on for a long time.

Trouble with going back to Australia for a while is that it will disrupt my 3 year old's activities (eg playgroup), I'll have two children by myself for however long we're there and won't see my husband much. Hmmmm. Might just see how it goes for the next week or so...

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    jane01, definitely feel for you. Remodeling neighbors have become one of my big pet peeves here as it never stops it seems. The building caretaker has this piece of advise for me whenever I ask him, which neighbor is remodeling, he says, the real banging & drilling only takes place in the beginning, when they are tearing it up, thereafter, the drilling will be on and off (annoying) but not as loud. So hopefully if you decide to hang in there, the noise would ease off soon and your baby will be able to "ignore" the noise. Good luck.

lili8 is offline Guest
    I think you need to ask the management for:

- A Schedule Sheet of work
    - Tell the contractors/owner of your situation via the Management Staff
    - Have a look at the building's rule book, should have something to state that noisy works should range from 10-12, 2-4pm. If they don't stick to those times, then again bother the management.

That should help.

saralee is offline Registered User
    I am going through something similar too as our building is undergoing an external renovation. These things have helped me:

White noise as you are doing - I leave the aircon on fan on the max setting and open the window so she has some outside noise too.

I use a portacot and move her between my room and her own room depending on where they are working. This really helps when the drilling is right on her bedroom wall!

When it gets really bad I/my helper takes her out to nap in the stroller or we go out with the sling.

Can't sympathise enough, it really is very stressful having so much noise with such a little one. They just don't seem so rested.

Kimmi is offline Registered User

drilling and baby

If I was you Jane01, I would go back to Australia for a bit. We have just had renovations here in our apartment block. The drilling was so so loud couldnt even think, as well as the dirt, dust, cement etc etc. It becomes very stressfull for everyone and tiring. Even my little 3 year old asked if we could move out! What ever you decide Jane01, GOOD LUCK hey

Thanks for the tips. They were jackhammering in the living room today, so we headed into town for the afternoon.

We have spoken to the contractor and apparently the first two weeks will be the worst, drilling wise. We might stick it out for a little bit longer.