Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Singapore International School Vs Kennedy

secretsquirrel is offline Registered User
    Thank you sunrays for your kind advice. I feel more relaxed now to let my girl go for the interview. Actually, I have been very tensed and nervous about her not able to get into SIS and for that matter I think I have passed on the pressure and stress to her somehow. Now I will just try and relax a bit more and take things easier. I tell myself, I can't change her quiet and timid character overnight though I have prepared her academically well enough.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Glad to know I helped secretsquirrel. It's normal for parents to feel anxious and sometimes the teachers will have to spend more time calming parents than their child! All the best.

I don't know so much about Canadian and what I do know about both these schools is limited to primary Mrs Buffy. I get the impression that the workload is similar but CIS is harder to get into so this would suggests that they set their academic standards higher.

CIS follows the IB programme which more schools are switching to, I'm not sure about Canadian.

Mandarin programme is stronger at CIS, this is why many SIS parents want to send their child there as few schools have such a strong programme. Canadian will give them the basics, but CIS will provide fluency although they do have remedial classes for those who do not speak Mandarin. Speaking the language is not as important a requirement at interview as English and maths and they can get in with no Mandarin.

I have heard these stories too about problem behaviour occuring in some schools. I am sure it goes in waves from one school to another depending on the children, teachers and principal at that time. In this respect, I am sure local schools are more "old -fashioned" as stereotypically Asian children are more conservative and don't mature as quickly....but then again there is no sure way of avoiding these teenage problems.

Sunrays

vpstse is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunrays,

I have sent you a PM. Thanks!

zapteo is offline Registered User
    Thanks Sunrays for your great wealth of info esp on SIS. It appears that there is a lack of "internationality" for SIS due to the student mix, though I hear from some foreigner friends who are caucasians that SIS is more on their radar now, as China is such a massive economic force. Is this true? Are u still at SIS? Thanks

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Hi zapteo,

Could be that SIS student population will change. I no longer work there, but when I was three years ago there was only one caucasian pupil. Also they are setting up a secondary school to open shortly so this also makes it a more attractive option. It is true Mandarin is becoming more important and as I mentioned before they have an excellent programme with a great teachers from the mainland. Things are constantly changing, so its hard to keep up!

Sunrays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12