Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vegetable/Fruit Puree: Homemade or Commercial

pannekee is offline Registered User

Vegetable/Fruit Puree: Homemade or Commercial

My baby is coming to 6 months next week and I'm going to start feeding her solids. Am thinking of making my own carrot puree and applesauce (am steaming them first then blending it) ...but my pd mentioned briefly about letting her try the commercial ones first.

I'm a bit hesitant cos some commericial brands might add sugar and other stuff into the carrot/apple puree.

Any comments from anyone?

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes, definitely give her homemade purees first. I started with pear, and then apple, sweet potato, carrots.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

jools is offline Registered User
    Definitely homemade ones, you know what's gone into it then. Have you ever tasted the commercial ones yourself, they are so bland.

Jools

Shirley is offline Registered User
    I agree with the others. Don't understand why your paed suggested to try the commercial jars. Only use them should you go out on an outing. They also get to taste real food.

pannekee is offline Registered User
    ok...thanks...now I can go ahead and blend everything and freeze them !!!!

joannek is offline Registered User
    defintely homemade. in fact, u should consider changing your ped. can't understand why a good ped would suggest commercial ones. they're high heat processed & you never know what's in them.... ???

Wee Kean is offline Registered User
    I gave my daughter commercial brand baby food to begin for about 3 months, especially whenever we were travelling. It was really convenient.

However, after a few months, I read an article about a research done by a consumer organisation, I regretted!!!! The report said that those baby product contained ingredients that are not suitable for baby (worse than you can imagine!!) I threw everything away straight away!!!!

If you are travelling or outside, you can consider giving your child very ripe banana, avocado, mango or papaya. You don't need to cut or cook, just peel the skin or bite the skin off the fruits and scoop it with spoon, very easy! Better than jar!!

Sumei is offline Registered User
    hi,

agreed with Joannek, you need to seriously reconsider your paedi if he/she is suggesting processed commercial food over home made, anything that can sit on a shelf for years cannot be good for your baby - you should also do a taste test, try a commercial jar of veggi puree over what you've made up, there is NO comparison in terms of taste/texture/richness etc, not only will your baby get use to "real" food but it's also denser and richer, 3 tablespoons of homemade puree is not the same as 3 tablespoons of commercial crap.....there has also been numerous conclusive studies done that link sleep problems and eating problems to commercial baby food!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast