Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Blues for ex-thyroid patient

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Unhappy Baby Blues for ex-thyroid patient

I am 33 and have been trying to get pregnant for the last 24 months with no success. The problem is that I have been treated for thyroid problems with radioactive iodine and am also overweight due to the thyroid problems before.

I have had one cycle of IUI treatment and the doctor found that my eggs grew very slowly, even with injections.

I have been to see chinese doctors also, and they have told me that the chance of getting pregnant is slim since I have had the iodine treatment.

Can anyone had this problem? Do you know of anything which I can do to help me get pregnant?

joannek is offline Registered User

my advice is, get a good chinese doctor & go on herbal remedy for at least a year without even trying for a baby. take life easier & focus on getting your health back on track. chinese doctors always say that if your health is good, you can have a healthy baby at 40. if your health is not good, even if you have a baby, baby will not be healthy (cos you don't have enough good stuff to give him/her), and it will be difficult to take care of.

it took me 3 yrs to get my body ready to have a baby. i tried for several mths after i got married but every time, i'd have an early miscarriage (@around 6weeks), 3 times in a year. so i went to my chinese doc, he said my body's not ready to have a baby. after taking herbs for 3 yrs, and watching my lifestyle & diet - minimal alcohol, plenty of sleep, no work, no cigarette. i was still barely fit to have a baby. i got pregnant within 5 mths, while still watching my diet (eating according to the food pyramid). i am glad i have a healthy (knoc-on-wood) 15 mths old now. but i was so glad i listen to my chinese doc. my daughter still has the same health problems that i have - poor digestive system & a lot of gas. but considering, she is quite healthy.

i'm sharing my own experience with you because i hope you'll focus on getting yourself into good health, and not worry about other things too much.

or you can go try western natural medicine. i got to Graeme at IMI. tel. 2523-7205. he has a machine that you can check exactly which part of you are not functioning well.

good luck & good health!:bighug

Thanks Joanne for your advice.

Can you let me know which chinese doctor you went to? Is he/she expensive?
    Also, do you know what the machine from Graeme is called?

I am definitely trying to get my health back in shape. Am doing Aqua aerobics which is great fun and very relaxing! I recommend it to everyone. You do not need to be able to swim as we do the exercises in shallow water.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Bubbly - when did you have the iodine treatment? A relative had a thyroid problem that was treated several times with radioactive iodine in her early 20s (in the UK). She was told by the UK doctors that this would not affect her fertility. She is now in her mid 30s and preganant with her first baby (2nd trimester) and I don't think they tried for very long. Are you taking thyroxine (hormone replacement)? The dose of thyroxine may affect conception or your body's readiness to conceive.

Also, the Chinese doctors' diagnosis may not be accurate re. iodine treatment affecting your fertility. See this link
    http://www.british-thyroid-associati...t%20no%203.pdf

Take Joannek's advice and don't give up. Good luck.

joannek is offline Registered User

bubbly, my chinese doc: thomas wong 2882-6999. there is a looooong waiting list, cos he only takes 1 new patient/day. the clinic is only opened 4 times/wk. but put your name on the waiting list anyway. email me ([email protected]) your name, and i'll see what i can do to help. but if u do get in, expect to be religious in watching your diet. i was only eating fish & pork, chinese lettuce, choy sum, kailan, brocolli for a whole yr! no chicken, no beef. the key here is to bring your body back to balance. but you'll learn a lot about youself & health after going to him. (btw, i'm still seeing him) about charges, he charges $100 consultantn per visit, then it's the herbs (between $30-$100 each/day). we go twice a week in the beginning. u can ask them to make the herbs for u. i think they charge 10-20/pack of herbs. (the herbs r packed in a vacuum seal, u put them in the frdge. to drink, just warm up in hot tap water, very convenient.) oh, & expect 45 mins for your 1st visit. he's very detailed in asking about your health. but he's quite on time cos he got all his appmts on schedule.

meanwhile, u can go to graeme stuart-bradshaw www.imi.com.hk. he's a well-known naturopath. the machine i think, is a bio-tech thing. he uses it to put a minimal current (u wont feel a thing, don't worry) thru your pressure pts in your fingers & toes to check whether your organs are functioning in balance. he treats you thru herbal remedies, homeopathy, vitamins, bach flowers, etc.

good luck & good health!

Slamdunk,
    I took the iodine in Jan 2004. Good to hear that your relative is pregnant now, makes me feel much better. Yes, I am taking thyroxine and the doctor says it's the correct amount for me and it not be causing infertility.

And Joannek, I will definitely get my name on the waiting list for your chinese doctor. And will also give Graeme a go. Will e-mail my name to you. Thanks so much for your help.

good health to you both too.

Just wanted to let you all know (and anyone who had thyroid problems like me) that I am now finally pregnant, after over 2 years of trying! Am over the moon and it just came to me naturally when I was not thinking about it.

So, anyone having problems getting pregnant, my advice will be to stay relaxed and happy and all will be well.

Good luck!

megan is offline Registered User

Was just reading the thread and so happen to read that u are now pregnant!
    Congrats!
    I've been trying for a long time to get P too but still no news. Hope I'll be as lucky as u... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast