Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rash after eating beef

mammalicious is offline Registered User

Unhappy rash after eating beef

i started to feed my baby beef today for the first time and her back has rash. however we were out all day in the heat so not sure if it is heat rash or allergies from beef.

my baby is 9months old. is it possible to be allergic to beef???? what other source of iron can i give, as beef is the best source. i fed her beef with mushroom and tomatoes.

any advice?? i find my baby seems to get rash now and again but surely she can't be allergic to so many things????

worried mum

joannek is offline Registered User

well, beef is known to lead to rash in some people (let alone babies), especially on the back (try to have a pc of steak 3 days in a row & see if u develop some pimples on your back.) it makes the system "hot" as the chinese herbalist always say. but as for your little baby, there's only one way to tell whether it's the weather or the beef. wait til the rash goes away, wait another week, and give her beef again. but don't bring her out anymore on that day.

my daughter's 15 mth old & i've never given her beef. my chinese doc said beef stirs up the "wicked heat " in the body.

i think dark green leafy vegis also contains a lot of iron. like spinach & kailan?

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Try not to worry, babies tend to develop and outgrow allergies unpredictably even with foods that they may have tolerated before. I've heard that having an allergy test before 18 months may prove inconclusive, but you can check with your doctor if your baby appears to get recurrent rashes. Otherwise stick with safer foods for the moment, and introduce new foods towards her first birthday.

Currently I am sticking with chicken and fish, and lots of greens for my baby. I also switched to Healthy Times organic cereal which contains 45% RDA iron and also 25% vitamin C per serving, and sometimes mix it together with dried fruit puree (raisins, apricots, figs) which are also good sources of iron.
    If you are still breastfeeding, this also provides some iron.

Sumei is offline Registered User

hi,

green leafy veggies esp spinach is high in iron, on the meat front, you could try poaching some calf's liver (very smooth texture) and adding it to congee if your baby is at the congee stage....as for having sensitive skin, they do come in and out of allergic reactions so unless it's particularly bad and making your baby uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

good luck!

bbc mom

how do you make the apricot, raisins and figs?? do you get fresh apricot and figs or the dried ones?

thanks everyone!!

other silly question: i know spinach is high in iron.. does it make a difference if it is chinese spinach or western baby spinach? i am only using western, as sometimes i find the chinese one makes my tongue itchy.. strange i know

Sumei is offline Registered User

I prefer to use baby spinach (western style for salads) as I feel it's less fibrous but I have ocassionally used chinese spinach - to make your left easier you could steam them in large batches, then whizz with a handheld blender and freeze them into ice cubes....

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Hi. I buy the organic dried fruits from Citysuper so I don't have to worry about preservatives. Fresh apricots/figs would be great but I haven't been able to find any (mind you, I live in the new territories so limited choice).
    I put them in a small pan and cover with water, then heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes until soft enough to puree. I usually only make small portions at a time since they do not freeze well and turn into a sticky paste. Even a small amount is really sweet so best to mix with other fruits, rice cereal or oatmeal. Good luck.

thanks so much all!

i shall get some of those dried fruits and make some for her. plus apricots are great in fiber especially the dried ones. i read somewhere that it takes 10 fresh apricots to equal 1 dried in the amount of nutrients... how that is, i have NO idea.

shall get some kale as well....

:bighug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast