Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

flight tips and jet lag

ClaireN is offline Registered User

flight tips and jet lag

I am moving from London to HK next wed with my husband and 4mth old baby girl. Would welcome any flight tips or advice on how to cope with jet lag with the baby when we get to HK. Doing a night flight so hoping that will be uneventful ! but not sure if I need to give extra fluids etc before hand. Any advice v welcome ! Tks

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    hi!

i just took my baby home to canada and back, the time difference being 14 hours behind hk and it's a 16-17 hour flights (2 flights plus layover time) and i breastfeed on take off and landing and asked for the bassinet only after the lights had been dimmed. our flight left around mid afternoon both ways so followed the routine for the day, but woke her up about 5-6 hours later to "start the day" to try to begin the adjustment.

on the flight definately feed breast or bottle on take off and landing to help with equalising pressure. then bring toys for baby to play with and something familiar so they are comfortable. bring a few clothing pegs and 2 blankets (unelss you don't mind using the plane's which i didn't do) one for if baby is cold, the other for covering the basinet. the pegs are to hold the sheet in place. bring ample amount of diapers and extra clothing in case baby soils it or spits up.

as for jetlag, put baby on normal routine but on hk time when arriving. they will wake for the first few nights, i fed my baby for the first 1-2 nights only but make sure no lights are on. then starting from the 3rd night, i'd just sit with her but pat her and sooth her. no talking, no lights. during the day follow your daytime routine. hopefully after a few days they should adjust. my baby slept through by the 5th night on the way there, and then 6th night on the way back.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

adeline is offline Registered User
    Hi all!

I am a first time user. I am taking my 5.5 mths son to NZ next mth with my hubby. Does anybody knows if a baby stroller allow to bring onto the cabin? Would welcome any flight tips or advice! My sister-in-law recommended me to use Phenergan and bring along Sydmol. Is it necessary? Thanks.

Adeline

joannek is offline Registered User
    baby stroller not allowed in-flight, but u can push it all the way to the gate. when u check-in let the growund crew know that youhave a stroller for the baby, they'll give you a tag for it. when u get to the get, they'll take the stroller from you. upon arrival, you have to wait at the door of the plane for it (they have a ladder to bring those up to the entrance of the plane along w/ wheelchairs, etc). if u're travelling alone, then u'd have to wait with your baby at your seat. i usually travel w/ my husband, so i bring my baby out of plane & wait for him at the gate. he waits at the entrance of the plane for the stroller.

as for medicines, i'd recommend u bring anything that he usually takes when he's not feeling well. plus a thermometer. i also suggest that u go to bumps to babes to buy the flight vest. u'll feel so much safer for him.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We have a Sit-n-Stroll which converts from a stroller to an FAA approved airplane seat (as well as a car seat). Supposed to be skinny enough to fit down most airplane aisles.
    Haven't tried it yet on a plane, but it does convert from stroller to car seat; don't see why a plane would present any difficulties.
    Stroller aspect is supposed to be great in airports/malls, less great on open terrain/roads/bumpy surfaces. But we have a Maya wrap for that.

joannek is offline Registered User
    sleuth, what's the brand of your sit-n-stroll?

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    The Sit-N-Stroll is made by Triple Play.
    http://www.tripleplayproducts.com/
    Seems to work fine although you sacrifice on weight and comfort of riding in the stroller on uneven surfaces. Might be a bit of a chore if you were going to haul it in and out of a car over and over all day. We converted it to the car seat and it stays in the car, using the Maya wrap for outside the car travel.
    They had a recall issue so be careful if you buy an older/used one. The new ones fixed the problem and there are no recalls on the newer models. My wife had a long conversation with the US government about the recall before we purchased. We bought it because of the stroller-car seat-airline seat-booster seat capabilties. Will use it mostly at airports and in planes.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Has anybody seen the Sit-N-Stroll in HK? Have called Bumps to Babes and they do not stock it.

Adeline, it might be worth checkling with your airline on their rules re. buggies. Sokme (especially BA) will allow you to take it to the door of the plane but will not do so if it is a 3 wheeler etc. They claim that it is too heavy and is a health and safety issue for their baggage handlers (ridiculous, I know, we have all had to carry them while 9 months pregnant without a health and safety risk). They will allow a Maclaren or other lightweight. However, they usually put a tag on it and you pick it up at the carousel at the other end (that can be a long way away). On longhaul, if you ask very nicely and t helps if you are flying up front, a helpful member of cabin crew may put a lightweight in a wardrobe onboard for you.

It is worth a phone call. I have been stranded carrying a 6 month old in a car seat plus hand baggage for a 15 minute walk to the luggae carousel. Never again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast