Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

postpartum menstruation

Sandra & Evan is offline Registered User
    FYI, I breastfed both of my children exclusively for six months, but both times, I got my period just 6 weeks after giving birth. And they came regularly every 4 weeks after that. I wish I could have been period-free for longer!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    The Lactational Amenorrhea Method is a well documented form of contraception.

There are some simple guidelines to using it:
    1 Do not use if your baby is over six months.
    2. Do not use if your periods have returned.
    3. Do not use if you are not exclusively breastfeeding.
    4. Do not use if the feeds are not at the breast.
    The method is 98.8% safe – similar to the pill.

If your periods return before six months it is likely that your first period is an unfertile period and you should use it as a sign that you could get pregnant with the next one which is usually four weeks later.

If your first period is after six months there is a much higher likelihood that this first period will be fertile and it is possible to get pregnant without having a period. (I know lots of mothers who this has happened to and most have a 21 to 27 month gap between babies.)

If you are not directly breastfeeding for each feed but pumping and supplying expressed breast milk for some of the feeds then the method reduces its protection to about 75%.

Direct breastfeeding stimulates that breasts better than pumping and the hormone levels are much higher when you breastfeed than when you pump. The different hormone levels is usually the reason why mothers find long term pumping hard.

Best wishes,

babi77 is offline Registered User
    Got al the info! My period jsut returned after 3 months, and is correct that my baby kind of sleep through the night so the 3am feed is reduced....

thanks for the info.

babi 77

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    my baby had been sleeping through the night for a long time probably when she was around 4 months and i ended up getting my period when she was just before 9months. i guess i'm lucky it lasted that long considering i didn't feed from 5pm (would feed bottle of expressed milk at 7-8pm and then b/pump at 10pm and at 6am)

well -- i guess i can start planning for #2 then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12