Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

postpartum menstruation

bbc mom is offline Registered User

postpartum menstruation

Hi everyone. It seems my first postpartum period has arrived. Just wondering if this is normal as I didn't expect it to come this early since I have been breastfeeding for 9 months, and although baby has been on solids since 6 months he still breastfeeds 6-8 times a day. Thanks.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

The average time for your periods to start again if you are still breastfeeding is between 13 and 15 months. But some mothers find that their periods return as early as three months and others as late as three years.

Often the return is associated with when your baby manages to go six hours without a feed, especially if these six hours are at night. I’ve known mothers get their periods again because the baby had jet lag and slept for over six hours even though he was only seven weeks old! And even though he didn’t again sleep through the night for months.

The Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) of contraception is only reliable for the first six months and then only if your periods haven’t started during this time.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

rani is offline Administrator

I got mine after 6 months and was nursing too.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Sumei is offline Registered User

hi,

I breastfed my son until he was one - he dropped his night feed (the 2-3am one) at 8 weeks and I got my period back 3 months after giving birth!!! Given my postpartum bleeding was for about 2 months, I wasn't "dry" for very long!!!!!

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for the info. I rather enjoyed being period-free for the last 18 months! I guess it take a few months for them to become regular again. On a good note, at least I can plan for baby no.2....perhaps next year if baby no.1 doesn't become too much of a handful!

joannek is offline Registered User

i got my period at around 7 mths, i think it was about the time when i dropped my 3 am feed. it took about 6 mths for it to became regular.

Tisha is offline Registered User

I had mine also after 6 months and was still breast feeding. Not true that breast feeding is a natural contraception. I got pregnant again (surprising surprise:bfeeding ) when my daughter was 9 months old and AND with irregular periods.

nanzbier is offline Registered User

I just started at 9months of breastfeeding. I was also a bit shocked it started this early. Like Sarah stated before, it did happen when my baby started to sleep around 6 hrs in a row without a feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast