Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Drinking Water Treatement System

zapteo is offline Registered User
    hong kong

HK water appears suspect

I have been living in HK for 5 yrs now, and have since been surviving - my whole family with 2 little ones, purely on bottled water. Adults take a mix of distilled and mineral water, little ones on Volvic, Evian. I feel that the extra cost is worth the extra safety and security in the health of our children. Why i may appear too-cautious is due to a documentary made in HK about where HK gets its drinking water from - it comes from south Guangzhou, and further down the river, there're lots of horrible toxic-spewing factories. These can trickle UPSTREAM somehow and although the water is ultimately treated, there MAY still be CFC cancer-causing agents that cannot be ruled out. Of course they say that such toxins can be elimintaed ALMOST entirely by boiling, filtering etc...but forget it, I am not going to endanger the lives of my loved ones whilst in my few years in HK! It's not worth it! But at least I am not as paranoid as some other people I hear (unacquainted) who I hear BATHE in bottled water!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories
    According to the Hong Kong Water Supplies Dept.:

"The quality of the water conforms both chemically and bacteriologically to the Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality recommended by the World Health Organization."

It also says:" Although the quality of water supplied to the consumers is strictly controlled and monitored, the quality of water drawn from consumers' taps may sometimes be affected by the condition of the inside plumbing, such as the phenomenon of discoloured water due to the presence of iron from rusty pipes. ... If the water quality is found to be affected due to defects in the inside plumbing, the consumer is required to engage a licensed plumber to examine the inside plumbing and carry out remedial work accordingly."

Hong Kong has one of the lowest infant mortality rates in the world, while at the same time some of the longest lived populations in the world. So, I doubt that enormous levels of paranoia are justified about HK water.

SULO is offline Registered User
    the netherlands

Water Treatment

Dear All,

I have read your discussions about so-called under the sink filtration systems and checked y28. The system they sell is based on reverse osmosis. Reverse Osmosis can indeed filter up to virtually any grade, however for real reverse osmosis systems, high pressure is needed and real RO-systems will not only filter harmfull elements, but also essential minerals like calcium and magnesium. I ask myself how well these so-called home RO-systems work.

Personally, from my profession's point of view, I work with microfiltration filters that are suitable for home-use but are also used for professional appliances. Problems with most home water supply are bacteria such as protozoa that cause stomach problems. Although most cities know how to filter water, they cannot control the transport lines from their filtration systems to private homes. Certainly in countries with high temperatures, bacteria multiply themselves and cause problems.

There are now filters available that filter all harmfull bacteria and, next to that, also filter odors, metals and tastes like chlorines (used by municipality to filter water). Such a combined filter can be purchased in The Netherlands for approximately HK$ 700. I don't know if these fliters are also available in Hong Kong. I'm anxious to learn what the market in Hong Kong is about. If I look at yk28 prices, I think the Hong Kong market has great opportunities. Should you like to have more info, please let me know.

Sulo Ocak

Bobbybo is offline Registered User
    I only drink tap water, but my wife prefers to boil it for her and my daughter. It's a question of habits. I heard filters are a good place for breeding bacterias. Don't know if true.
    I personally think bottled water is a dead water, travelling one month in a container. The local one is distilled, so no idea what's the use of it. Ironing?
    I confirm what Loupou says. HK water is drinkable.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    The water is safe to drink in HK- but it all depends on the pipes it comes through before it gets to your taps! If the pipes are old, rusty and dirty- well that is going to have some effect on your water.
    I've lived in HK for 13 years and always had watsons water delivered, it's just so much easier- we have the mineralised.

loraine is offline Registered User
    Mid levels
    I also have Watson mineralised water delivered (it same with a free hot/cold water dispenser!) . Then you know you have clean water (its been distilled first) and it hasn't been sitting around in the pastic bottle for months! The cheap water filters cannot remove heavy metals and pesticides, to remove these you need to get a reverse osmosis system. But reverse osmosis leaves you with distilled water - ie no minerals. So whats the point?

adelchong is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by joannek View Post
    i use reverse osmosis installed in the kitchen. i ordered it from
    Aparkson Under-sink Reverse Osmosis Water Purification System

i know somebody who works there, so i got it delivered & installed at a charge. if u want, i can give u the tel no of my friend.
    Hi Joanne, hope you don't mind me emailing you. Would you kindly let me have the contact of your friend who works for Aparkson? Would like to find out more about the Aparkson Under-sink Reverse Osmosis Water Purification System that you recommended. Comparing it to the Life Solutions system I saw in a clinic in Central.

ELT is offline Registered User
    I am VERY SURPRISED to read that a lot of people drank out of the tap! I was born and raised in HK and NEVER drank tap water without first boiling it (with or without water filter)! We've been boiling our drinking water for generations (I know my great grandmother did and my son is definitely drinking boiled water). It never occurred to me that the tap water in HK is safe to drink!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12