Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Risky Pregnancy at 35 up

fireblue is offline Registered User
    hi fridayma,
    i understand what you are going through. pregnancy is one such time when we tend to worry about everything. I was 35 when I had my first baby and I could relate completely to your situation.
    but my question is this, if it was found that your baby is high risk of down's syndrome in the amnio test, what would you do?
    would it not make you worried even more?
    i don't know about you but when the doctor said the same thing to me my thought was, if she had down syndrome, Id keep and love him or her anyway, so why have the test in the first place.
    I had the blood test and skipped that expensive procedure.
    My baby turned out to be a healthy 8.2 lbs bundle of joy who is as normal as anybody else.
    I am not suggesting that you skip the procedure like I did, but I hope that you will not worry too much as worrying is not good for you and your baby.
    I am sure your baby is healthy and growing normally.
    Don't worry too much.

fridayma is offline Registered User

Wink Late Pregnancy

Hi Fireblue, thanks for your opinon! Actually, my hushand and I have decided that if the baby has any chance of Down's syndrome (touch wood, touch wood!), we will give him/her up as we are unable to afford the future expenses and time. That's why I will be having the Amnio test later. So...you are right, I do not need to worry too much. Everything has its own way....nice to talk to you!

intrigue is offline Registered User
    I had an amnio and it was perfectly fine. The fear of the procedure was the horrible thing - the actual procedure was not a problem.

Wink Late Pregnancy

Hi Intrigue, comfortable to hear that! Thanks!

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User
    I turned 35 in Feb and have just given birth to my first born son 6 weeks ago. My doctor did advise me to take the amnio test even after getting back a good result from the neck measurement. The doc said I will be 35 when I give birth so the risk is there. I didn't end up getting the amnio as I didn't see the point if my first neck measurement result came back good, I would if it was comparatively risky just to confirm. It's ultimately up to you and to how you feel about the whole thing, I do agree that the statistics are exactly that, so whatever decision gives you a peace of mind I suppose. I'm also considering a second child in three years time and don't think I will consider getting amnio then. Good luck to you!

parkviewmom is offline Registered User
    Hi there!
    When i was pregnant with my baby i was 34 and 1/2 and the doctor did the scan (normal but not perfect enough for him to say 'nothin else needs to be done'), and recommended a blood test which came negative so no amnio. However, he said that the test has a 15% of showing a false positive so if it's positive they do an amnio to be sure. i suggest get the blood test and if its negative you need go no further.

Wink Late Pregnancy

Hi Chy and Parkviewmom, thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! I remember my doc has advised me that as the Amnio test gives a higher accuracy (about 90%) on down's syndrome, it is not nesscessary to do the blood test, which gives only about 70% accuracy. So that's why go for the Amnio test...

Smile The result of my Amnio Test

Hello all, I'm happy to tell you all that my baby is concluded growing healthy and well after the Amnio Test. I feel I've just passed through an exam!!!:groupwave:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast