Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Risky Pregnancy at 35 up

fridayma is offline Registered User

Risky Pregnancy at 35 up

I'm 35 and recently I have a NT scan at 2.3mm during my 12-week pregnancy. As explained by the doctor, the risk for Down's syndrome is high and I've planned to have the Amnio test at the end of June . . . .As this is my first time pregnancy, I'm very worried about this... .. Does anyone of you have a similar situation like me and is able to share with me your experience? Thanks!

mumthaj is offline Registered User

Smile late pregnency

Hi fridayma! I got 2 kids. At my 35 i got the other one after 13 years gap. the doctor adviced me to take the downsyndrome test. but I denied. during the test the womb may be aborted. so i refused to do so. Now my kid is very active n brilliant. my opinion is that not to do downsyndorme test. as u say this is ur first pregnency, so it's very difficult . don't worry. God will give u cute baby. He bless u. Give all the burdens to him.

Red face late pregnancy

Hi mumthaj, thank you for your opinon!! By the way, was it because you have done the NT scan with low risk number (what was your measurement of the BB neck thickness), so you were confidence not to take the womb test? Thanks for your blessing again and talk to you later.:)

cristletips is offline Registered User
    I was 35 too for my first child. Now I'm 36. I was really worried about the test too. Now i can't even remember the name of all of the tests! I did take the first test with the blood being taken and neck measurement and after that i decided not to do the amnio and other one with the needle because the risks seemed to be low. Had that initial test had a higher risk i suppose i would have followed with the others.

It's not fair. It became this game of statistics to me.

It's something that only you can decide for yourself and must think hard about. It was really really stressing me out. But i ended up happy with my decision.

I would still like to have more children in the future, and probably when i'm around 39. I know the risks go up. But I just don't think I could handle two toddlers at once!

ts1968 is offline Registered User
    FridayMa, I am 37 and pregnanat with my 3rd, now week 11+2, have my appointment this week for the blood test for NT scan and a few days after an appointment with the doctor, I understand that it takes a few days to receive the results. He did say that if the NT scan shows right risk then I would need to have the CVS done, which (if you decide to have) is reccommended to be done between weeks 10-12. I know this test is a bit risky, I sure hope I won;t need to have it, but if the NT scan shows high risk i definately will have it done. Amnio can only be done at a later stage, as you said, weeks 16-20.
    I would suggest you ask your doctor if he reccommends the CVS and have him explain the risks of this proceedure.

Hi Cristletips and ts1968, happy to hear from you both! My doctor has advised me to take the Amnio instead of CVS, which both use needles too with the same high risk. If that's the case, I would just take the Amnio during my 16-week pregnancy instead as Amnio has 99% accurancy. Of course, mentally I'm under quite a bit of stress because I want to know my baby is growing healthy without Down's syndrome ASAP, on the other hand, waiting to do the test and hear the result is really worried.! Good luck to me:)

cecichung is offline Registered User

Wink late pregnancy

Hi Fridayma,

i am 36 and having my second baby at 14 week, i also have the blood test with the NT scan at 12 week and the result is low risk.

but i can share my friend's experience with you. She is 31 and have the NT scan result with very high risk (6:1), she got the CVS right after she got the result. Finally she got a good news and she have a beautiful and healthy baby girl four months old now!

i believe you will also as lucky as her! so good luck!

Wink Late Pregnancy

Hi Cecichung, thanks for sharing your friend's experience with me!. It's very encouraging. I hope I will have the same luck too:-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast