Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: What name do you like best?

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Avery Kailen

15 30.00%
  • Riley Addison

14 28.00%
  • Riley Gabrielle

15 30.00%
  • Riley Kaden

6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Name

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Question Baby Name

We just found out we are having a baby girl - YAY!!! Just curious what people think of the names we are considering now. We like the combo of Avery Kailen already, but if we go with Riley, not sure what middle name sounds best. What do you think???

hkvanhuizens is offline Registered User

Hi hkgirl,

I just had a baby girl in Feb after 2 boys and guess what??? We named her Reilly Marie. Although, I tossed and turned over which way to spell it. So, for obviuos reasons, Riley is a nice name for a girl.

hkgirl is offline Registered User

I like that spelling too!

cristletips is offline Registered User

I think Riley and Avery are both very pretty names!

In case you are interested in 2005 Riley is the 53rd most popular name in the United States and Avery is 66 out of 1000.

The Social Security Administration tracks the names by people's Social Security Cards.

Here's the link if you want to check. It's kind of fun to look it up, even if you aren't American. You can see through the years how names decrease or increase in poplularity. You can check your own name.

http://www.ssa.gov/

when you get to the site just click the baby's face that says "popular baby names of 2005"

loupou is offline Baby Guru

Please don't get angry, I am truly telling you what I think. :)

All the names you have chosen are very "boyish" names to me.

Avery was originally a surname. I have an uncle named Avery. There's also Avery Office products, so I don't really like the name Avery for a girl.

Reillly/Riley is also a common surname. It was also the name of a situation comedy in the USA, originally on radio and then on TV.

""Living the life of Riley" suggests an ideal life of prosperity and contentment, possibly living on someone else's money, time or work. Rather than a negative freeloading or golddigging aspect, it instead implies that someone is kept or advantaged."
    - and more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Riley

Addison is a very WASPish male name (e.g. former Secretary of State James Baker's middle name).

So, unless you really want to honor a member of your family whose surname was Avery, Reilly, or Addison, I'd try something else.

bbc mom is offline Registered User

Choosing your baby’s name is a very personal thing. You will always come across someone who doesn’t like what you’ve chosen. When we were choosing names for our son, I refused some suggestions because they reminded me of old school colleagues, or some famous person, or relatives/friends that had already used the same name, or sounded old-fashioned or too traditional or common etc.... In addition to this, family voiced their likes and dislikes.....so in the end we didn't announce his name until after the birth!

Some Hong Kong locals like to choose english names which are unusual and unique (I’ve come across Devil, Piano, Fish) but if they are happy with their choice, who are we to judge.

My advice is that if you really have your heart set on a name, stick to it no matter what anyone else says.
    By the way, I think Avery Kailen and Riley Kaden are lovely. All the best.

cinnamon is offline Registered User

Yes how about a truely Hongkee name!
    Purple, Rainbow, Milk , Amoeba and Energy are some of the girls I used to work with.
    I have also been served by Popeye (also a girl) in hagan daaz
    PS I agree both Avery and Rilley are great names.
    As first names for a female, something traditional has become contemporary and special.
    Have you made a descision yet?

jools is offline Registered User

I agree choosing your child's name is a very personal thing. I would just like to point out that sometimes your baby helps you make that choice. Before our daughter was born, we had picked out Lily or Daisy. When she arrived, my husband and I looked at each other and both said, "Well she's neither of those." So our daughter spent the week being called just 'baby' until we came up with her name. We went down the route of choosing a name that meant something to us personally. We both have quite strong Celtic backgrounds and like the traditions that this entails, so our daughter is called Keira for that reason amongst others.

Stick to the names that you want and don't let anyone tell you whether they think it's a good choice or not. With our third child we have chosen the names but we're not telling anyone, as we had such a negative reaction with our son's name before he was born. People laughed and we were told by family members that we couldn't call him that because it was a foreign name.

Sorry to go on, but I think naming your child is very important and lets face it, they're are going to carry that name with them for a long time and you are going to be saying it an awful lot, so you need to feel happy about it. And maybe it's because my due date is two weeks away and my baby's name is very much in the forefront of my mind.

Just an opinion

Jools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top