Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HK School Situation

ChrisWaltens is offline Registered User

HK School Situation

Yesterday my husband was offered a job in Hong Kong and if he accepts it , we would most likely be moving toward the end of the year. I have read through many threads and it seems that the salary and housing allowance are reasonable, except that we will have to cover education expenses ourselves.

But my biggest concern isn't paying for the school, it is finding a spot in an international school for my daughter, who will turn 5 in August. I would be quite happy to send her to one of the ESF schools, but it seems from what I have read, that there is little chance of getting a spot there. I was thinking of trying to get her into a separate kindergarten (like Montessori?) for the second half of next year and then immediately getting her on the wait list for September 2007. I have heard that the waiting lists are long, but how long is long? 6 months? 2 years?

My husband will be working at the airport and so it seemed as if the logical place for us to live would be Discovery Bay, except that it seems as if the chances of getting into DBIS are zero. So we are pretty open to living anywhere convenient to a school where we might be able to get a spot. This is really my biggest concern about moving--that I won't be able to find a school at all! It seems that there have been a lot of threads from people here in the same predicament, but most never tell how things turned out! What would I do if we move and I cannot get her into a school anywhere? Has this ever happened to anyone? I won't put her into a local school...we would turn down the job offer first I think. Not because there is anything wrong with that education, just that I think it would be too much for her to move her to a new country and throw her into a situation where she cannot communicate with anyone.

I would really appreciate any success stories about getting kids into a school--just to put my mind at ease!

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    If you want to live near the airport, living in West Kowloon or Western NT or Tung Chung would make for the most convenient commute, more so than Disco Bay - he wouldn't have to take a slow Lantau bus, insteda he could take the MTR.

On the west side you can look at "Phoenix International School" in CHeung Sha Wan
    http://www.phoenix.edu.hk/

Phoenix is under the umbrella of ESF Educational Services and uses English medium & is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education.

There is also a relatively new school ESF school called Bauhinia in Lai King. I think it's still in temporary premises but will move into its new building next year (2007).
    http://www.bauhinia.edu.hk/
    It is also English Medium (of course) and follows the UK National Curriculum.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. We aren't really too worried about living close to the airport. He won't be doing a daily commute--more like flying out and then coming back a 4-7 days later. So even if it took him an hour that would be okay. So right now we are looking more at an area with ex-pats and schools. I suppose we have to wait until we get there to decide. My concern is just that we end up on 10 school waiting lists and it takes a year to get accepted into a school.

parkviewmom is offline Registered User
    Hi!
    Just wanted to let you know that getting into ESF schools isn't THAT difficult. They are quite accomodating, and if the ESF school which falls into yr residential zone is full they will try and get you into the next closest one. Best thing to do is to call them up as soon as you know you are coming for sure, and get your daughter on the waiting list.

Thank you--that is good to hear! An ESF school would be my first preference since we will be paying for the school ourselves and I have heard mostly good things about them.

I suppose that I do have to start calling the schools myself and get first hand information as soon as we know what our timeframe is for moving to Hong Kong. Since we found out that he got the job offer I have been making myself a little crazy researching on the internet!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Just to let you know that school buses run from Discovery Bay to Bauhinia School; and Phoenix School in Cheung Sha Wan is moving, or has moved to Ma On Shan which is next to ShaTin in the New Territories.

Bus from DB to airport takes just 15-20 minutes and runs every half an hour.

met_74 is offline Registered User

swiss german international school

Hi Chris,

I noticed you are based in Switserland. Are you Swiss? Because there is also a Swiss-German school which seems to be pretty good.
    Not sure how difficult it is to get in. But maybe you can check it out aswell.

http://www.gsis.edu.hk/

Good luck!
    Sonja

carang is offline Registered User
    there is also the lantau international school... it's a small school, and there is a school bus from Db