Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Repeating K2

mother of 2 is offline Registered User

Red face Repeating K2

My husband and i have decided we should let our son repeat K2 as he is the youngest of his current class who will be moving up to K3 in September, and he may experience difficulties with his chinese if we push him any further. He is currently going to a Kindie in Heng Fa Chuen and he is happy there. Up until just now I had no qualms about him repeating K2 there, but someone has just suggested that maybe I send him to a better Kindie if he is to repeat.

My question is, has anyone else repeated k2 and what their experience is and if I change Kindie does anyone have any suggestions where I should go?

Your help appreciated, I'm getting really stressed out!

DTHY is offline Registered User

I think the questions that you need to consider are:

Is your child happy with the school and staff?
    Do you or does your child like the school's teaching style?
    Are you happy with the school, staff, the school's philosophy and curriculum?
    Is the kindergarten affiliated with a desirable primary school?

If the answers to these questions are "yes" then perhaps your kid should stay wth the same school.

Going to a new school, meeting new teachers and making new friends is very stressful to a child. I think if both you and him like the school, then repeating K2 at this school would be better since the teachers are familiar with your child, your child knows the teachers and are familiar with the routines. He can also act as a big brother to his classmates. These will surely build up his confidence.

This happened to my nephew and he ended up repeating K2 with the original school. He and his family are really happy with the situation and he has developed so fast and so much during this repeated K2 year.

Last edited by DTHY; 06-07-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Linda&Hanley is offline Registered User

Smile

My son sort of repeated K1 when transferring to an international school, as the youngest age accepted for their reception level is 3 by August (My son was born in November). At first I was a bit worried that he might get bored of learning the alphabet and numbers again, but fortunately it turned out that he enjoys his school life even more than before. I guess it's because of the different systems and approaches to learning that keep him psychologically busy. Not sure if it would do the same should he repeat K1 in the same school.

shaz is offline Banned

i think repeating kinddie at the same school could be kind of boring for him, my son is the youngest too in his class but he went up to k3 anyways without repeating k2 and has come far and learnt so much more.

hermoine is offline Registered User

I can't resist in putting in my two cents as I have a first account for how it feels repeating K2. When I was young, I repeated K2 because I was by far the youngest in my year. My teacher and my parents thought that it was fairer for me that way, but in reality, I was really upset about it all. My friends got promoted and I just couldn't understand why I wasn't. I was SO bored and kind of embarrased and stupid throughout the entire repeated year. But the sad thing was, I wasn't able to communicate my feelings in words to the adults. I didn't end up getting all naughty and things, but I started wondering whether I was different from everyone else. Kids that age can have a lot more emotions than what adults usually can imagine. Whatever your decisions, I would definately say, make sure he understands why he has to repeat.

mother of 2 is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will definately explain to Hayden why he is repeating and I don't doubt for a second that he will wonder why he is repeating, but I really want him to enjoy school and not progress up with the rest and then find it's too difficult for him and him hating the rest of his school years.