Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

keeping helper's passport?

carang is offline Registered User
    i have a feeling that these ladies are NOT using banks, if you know what i mean!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Regardless of what your helper may use their passport for, it is illegal to keep it. I think the rule of thumb shoul be - how would you feel of your employer.....? For example, if your employer said to you - ' Give me your passport, I will keep it,' you would know straight away that what they were asking was illegal and refuse to let them have it. So why should anyone have the right to keep their helpers passport?

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bekyboo44
    Regardless of what your helper may use their passport for, it is illegal to keep it. I think the rule of thumb shoul be - how would you feel of your employer.....? For example, if your employer said to you - ' Give me your passport, I will keep it,' you would know straight away that what they were asking was illegal and refuse to let them have it. So why should anyone have the right to keep their helpers passport?
    Beky, you can't compare the two. If you default on a loan the collection agency will not call and harrass yr boss or send thugs to his house. If you have a naive and gullible helper then I don't think its wrong to hold her passport, you're protecting her and your family
    Last edited by rani; 06-12-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

hermoine is offline Registered User
    Geez! What should one do if such uneventful thing does occur? How do you "ask" the loansharks/thugs to leave? Any use calling the police? Will they stop?

Hermoine,

I would definitely call the police. We had to call the police a few months ago because our ex-helper had an outstanding phone bill. An automated machine would call our home phone 4X day as a payment reminder. We spoke to the company and told them she'd left us over 18 months ago and to stop calling. They said we needed to send a fax, so I faxed them a letter, but the calls didn't stop. We called them again, and we threatened them but they didn't care. In the end we called the police and within 24 hrs the calls stopped.

Rani
    Last edited by rani; 06-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    If you have problems with threatening people and telephone calls please do contact the police. A friend of mine had problems with triads trying to find her husband. These men were very frightening for her and her young family. But once she called the police the threats stopped immediately.

What I remember is surprising in this story was her maid’s reaction. She was amazed that the police in Hong Kong could be so helpful without being bribed.

Best wishes,
    Barb

dulce is offline Registered User

Keeping helper's passport

Quote Originally Posted by rani
    Beky, you can't compare the two. If you default on a loan the collection agency will not call and harrass yr boss or send thugs to his house. If you have a naive and gullible helper then I don't think its wrong to hold her passport, you're protecting her and your family
    Rani wether Becky has a naive and gullible helper it is still not right to hold her passport. What are you trying to imply is , it is right to take an advantage to those naive helpers and that is absolutely not right. There should be no descrimination in the level of knowledge of every helper.

There are plenty of people who make a living by taking advantage of helpers. Employers are just protecting them.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast