Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

keeping helper's passport?

MeowMeow is offline Registered User

keeping helper's passport?

Hi,

I would like to know how many of you do keep your helper's passport? Is it legal to do so?

Thanks

Yzabelle is offline Registered User
    Hi MeowMeow,

You can not keep your helper's PASSPORT, it's illegal, you know why i know? my prevoius employer working as Immigration officer and he told me about this, it's so happened that i had a friend who is the employer wanted to keep her passport and begging me to ask this to my boss as they know that he's an immigration officer and that's it, he told me that Passprt is our GOVERNMENT PROPERTIES, not any other.

Hope it will help you.
    Last edited by Yzabelle; 06-10-2006 at 10:31 AM.

carang is offline Registered User
    just curious why you would find it necessary...

if you are worried about her taking off, maybe you've hired the wrong person?

i know i'd be very upset if my employer demanded that they keep my passport!

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Absolutely illegal. Exactly - government property, not the individual's.

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    That's what i thought. Because I was talking to a few of my friends and they're keeping the passport for their helpers so that's why i asked. But anyways I won't ask my helper cuz i trust her.

rani is offline Administrator
    i know some employers keep them cos they're afraid their helpers may use it to get a loan. i heard there was a helper in our complex that managed to get the passport of a few of her friends and secured a substantial loan without their consent. i gave our helper a long lecture on trusting people in HK when she arrived. there are a lot of people who will take advantage of new helpers
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

kellyst is offline Registered User
    i have a previous helper who did exactly as rani has said. but yes, keeping their passport is illegal, BUT that is still what agents are recommending. my previous helper (she was fired after a long episode, this was just 3 months ago) lied and told us that she needed her passport to apply for some filipino document, we gave it to her as it is illegal afterall to keep her passport.
    she ended up borrowing 10's of thousands of dollars, AND on top of that because lending agencies won't lend her so much, she managed to have loans under ALL of my extended families' maids (my other maid, my mom's maid, my grandmother's maid), it's really crazy, she didn't even need their passport to do that, just their names, info and consent. she has outstanding loans when we fired her, and we ended up having to repaid part of her loans, especially the ones involving the maids we know. a lot of them will do things like that when their 'friends' as them to help them borrow.
    still, i'm not that uptight about keeping their passports, but would like to share, so people would understand where the risks are if you don't do that.

hermoine is offline Registered User

Enforceable?

That sounds really scarry. Did all those helpers who "lent" their name to their friend need to sign any contract when their "so called" friend borrowed money from the banks?

I hope it is impossible for banks to lend money to anybody merely based on some names and info the lender provides. Having said that, has anyone experienced these kind of nonsense before? How did you tackle that situation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast