Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

start school on sept

gerald is offline Registered User

Question start school on sept

my son is 2yrs and seven months. would like to enrol in esf school like her sister but they don't accept 3 yrs unders. many have suggest i can always wait for second term. and since he have a sister at home i don't have to enter to any pre-school. any suggestion if wether i should look for pre-kindie to have a social skill or just wait. i'm very anxious at the moment cause summer is comming up and i need to look for one if ever

Erin is offline Registered User

Only you know your childs personality. I would think that most children play differently with their siblings than their peers. I don't think that a playgroup could do any harm.

We're in a similar situation. My daughter won't be 3 until the end of October. I've decided not to send her to school in September. I think I'm going to wait until next September. I'm conserned about her being the younget in her class. At this age a year makes such a huge developmental difference. She's a bit shy, so we're going to get het involved in a structured play group to help her prepare for the transition.

Try not to stress too much!

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Hello,
    I've read some studies and there are no long term academic benefits to starting school early. In North America kids don't start kindergarten until age 5 and most who have moms or good caregivers at home learn more then they would in a group where there was no individual attention.
    I stayed at home for kindergarten in Canada and then started grade one. I'm now working on post-grad studies! No academic problems because of starting school later!
    I think that your son will be fine waiting a little!

rani is offline Administrator

Although D was 3 in Sept (birthday in July), we felt he was a young 3 yr old as he's a late talker. So I decided to keep him at the small playgroup for another few months and start kindy in Jan. Honestly I think I made a mistake, he's done so well at kindy, he's become independent, confident, his speech and language have improved tremendously. He's being exposed to a lot more people, activities and new challenges every day. I wish I hadn't underestimated his abilities and started him in Sept.

Last edited by rani; 06-14-2006 at 07:44 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

gerald is offline Registered User

thanks guys.. i might just enrol him into little play groups for the time being and decide to enrol him maybe second term if not next school term.