Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Throwing up at night(S)!

hermoine is offline Registered User

Throwing up at night(S)!

My one and a half has been a fantastic baby/toddler with no sleeping or eating problems. But lately he has had a lot of throwing up episodes and I am wondering what could have possibly gone wrong. Please advise!

At night, we have always had this habit of giving him a bottle of milk. He would drink it quietly in the dark and dozes off to sleep by himself. But lately, he would wake up and cry about half to an hour after he dozes off. He would then throws up like Niagra Falls. After cleaning up however, he would be quite happy falling back to sleep in his cot til the mornings. During the day, he has no problems eating and drinking, and the throwing ups never occur at daytimes. He has been taking both milk and solids for several months now. Since birth, we have always demand feed him, and that has seemed to be quite successful.

or, could he be ill? I am not sure if this is a medical problem and is quite reluctant to go to the doctor fearing that he may innocently catch something else at the waiting room.

hkgirl is offline Registered User

Hello Hermoine,

I hope your son is okay. Here's my advice. You should try not giving him a bottle at night. At one and a half, he can get the food and drink he needs during the day rather than having a bedtime snack. He may be in the habit of drinking it, but does not need it so his body is getting rid of the excess. Another benefit is that your sons teeth will be healthier without having a bottle to fall asleep with.

If stopping the bottle at night doesn't work, I think it's best to take your child to the doctor. Just don't let him touch things at the doctor and keep his hands washed and hopefully he won't catch anything. I know how you feel not wanting to take your baby in though as I hate putting my child at risk for getting sick too.

Good luck!

Last feed

Thank you so much for your valuable advise, HKGirl!
    Now wondering how I should begin cutting out the night feed....Bet he will cry like anything if I stop giving him the bottle tonight....maybe giving him less each day and slowly phase it out? Will that work? Is that the way to do it?

sonza9 is offline Registered User
    Hi! How's your baby?

My son is also like that before but we stopped feeding him during night time to prevent from puking.

Another cause is if he has cough or colds, I asked our pedia about it, its normal to throw up just feed him afterwards.

You should ask your pedia about it to be sure.

He is fine now!

Hi Sonza,
    We managed to push the night feed a bit earlier, leaving a little bit of time for him to digest before he sleeps and so far so good. He seems fine now!
    Thanks Sonza!
    hermoine