Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Should we buy a car?

jessieywl is offline Registered User

Should we buy a car?

Hi all,

Our baby is 4 months and we are taking her out and about more often. Would like to ask parents who have a car the pros and cons of having one.

The cons we can think of:
    1. Costs - the car itself, maintanence, insurance, gasoline, parking
    2. Hard to find parking space in HK (though we have a car park space at home)

The pros we can think of:
    1. Flexibility - we can go anywhere anytime (while we think taking taxis is probably equally flexible)
    2. Less to carry - can always keep the stroller or other baby items in the trunk so no need to carry it back and forth (especially important since we don't have an elevator in our complex and we have 4 flights of steps to take)

We used to rent out our car park space so we thought it made a lot of sense to take taxis. But the tenant moved out a few months ago so we started to think about getting a car.

Car? Taxis? Appreciate your advice!!!

Jessie

hermoine is offline Registered User
    I would say car, though it is a luxury. It's great to explore everywhere with your children. Sometimes, I would just drive around just to have fun. I love the feeling seeing my little ones looking out of the window whilst I drive. They seem so fascinated in everything outside. Look for a small car that is economical in petrol consumption. Petrol in Hong Kong is really expensive! Parking can be quite tough as well.

shaz is offline Banned
    car is a luxury but at the end of the day the public system is excellent. we had a car then sold it, very expensive to have a car just used on weekends. kids can still have fun on the train, tram and buses which they love.
    parking is a nigtmare business here.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    It also depends on where you live. I'm in Clearwater Bay and would find it hard without a car. If I lived in mid-levels I would not bother. It can take me as long to get around mid-levels and the one way systems as it does for me to drive from home all the way to Hong Kong Island. I love the flexibility of having a car and being able to go to Park and Shop and get a load of stuff and chuck it in the boot...no hassles with lugging it home or to a taxi. Parking can be a hassle but you soon learn the good, cheaper places to go. Also many malls will give you free parking when you shop there.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sumei is offline Registered User
    Another issue is safety, although cars maybe a luxury, I'd rather my bubs be in a vehicle that I am driving, in a baby car seat well belted up.......have you seen the way bus and taxi drivers drive here?!!?!! if you live right next to an MTR that's a different story.....you can't put a price on safety I think...

Scroll to top