Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

taxi rides

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    I use the Joeysafe harness but it is not suitable for young babies (recommended from 1 year). I bought it online at www.joeysafe.lenoirphoto.com. I too come from a country with really strict car seat laws and the Joeysafe gives me real peace of mind.

Tisha is offline Registered User
    FYI www.joeysafe.lenoirphoto.com has shut down its website but you can now get them from Singapore if you write to [email protected] or ultimately order them directly from the US on www.joeysafe.com

capital is offline Banned
    I am from canada too and in canada I would never even dream of driving down the street without my children buckled in properly. The next time we are in hong kong the children will be 1 year and 3 years old. I have no idea what to do. If we are in a taxi, I can't very well install the 2 car seats as it takes a long time to get them in properly and tethered tight enough, And then if we get to the shopping center, how am I supposed to carry around 2 forward facing car seats and hang on to a 1 and 3 year old, never mind bags. It is just not possible. I would love to hear from the people who do use car seats in taxi's, what do you do with them once you arrive at your destination? I can see that with small infants you could put the car seat in the stroller. My children out grew their infant seats at 5 and 6 months. They hit the hight restriction on them before the weight, and my children are not very large for their age.

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    i still hven't come up with a easy solution as my infant car seat doesn't fit into the taxis here.. =( so, now i simply take the MTR or walk to my destination. Or I get someone to pick us up with their car and i install the carseat in... hope this helps and please let me know if you figure out a easy way of travelling by taxi with a baby...

capital is offline Banned
    Does anyone know what the actual law is for infants/children/adults in taxi's?

JennyB is offline Registered User
    From govmt website:

"From January 1, 2001, all passengers in the front and rear seats in taxis are required by law to wear seat belts installed in taxis. Passengers who fail to comply will be liable to a maximum fine of $5,000 and imprisonment for 3 months."

Doesn't mention anything specifically about children. But found the following, which is "recommendations", not law: http://www.td.gov.hk/FileManager/EN/...lt_leaflet.pdf

The two combined could be interpreted as being that carseats or a carrycot are compulsory for babies in order to use the mandatory seatbelts.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    Just read the next page on the PDA file which says parents are "strongly advised" not to put children in front seats without suitable restraint - not very tough language.

Anyone know if there is any organisation campaigning for tougher safety laws in HK? Just think, a change in the law could make it compulsory for all cars and taxis to provide suitable seatbelts for fastening carseats. It might be possible to book a taxi which can provide a carseat (I assume for an extra fee) like in Western countries. Who wants to start a campaign?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Not me.

I rode in taxis, minibuses, 2-decker-buses, and single-story buses, and on the MTR with my children when they were babies without car seats. I think that a law requiring parents to strap infants into car seats when traveling would be a big burden for parents and transportation providers without doing much good. I have lived in HK for 14 years and have never heard of a case where an infant was killed in a taxi or public transit accident because of a lack of car seats.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast