Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

taxi rides

capital is offline Banned
    I would certainly order taxi's with carseats if they were available.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I would also specfically order a taxi that came with a car seat.
    HK is sadly lacking in legislation that protects babies and children when travelling in cars etc.
    I can't understand the mentality that thinks it's ok to travel in a car where a child is not strapped into a car seat- it is unbelievably dangerous and yet you see it so often in HK.
    I don't understand why common sense doesn't kick in- so there may not be any legslation forcing us to starp our children into a car/public transportation safetly but surely common sense and a desire to protect our children would mean we would do it anyway.
    I don't care how inconvenient it is for public transport providers, a child's safety has to come first.
    I haven't been on a minibus in HK since I got pregnant and have no intention of taking my baby on one- the drivers drive too fast, they rarely indicate or show any regard for other drivers/pedestrians, and I don't have much faith in the protection offerred by a minubus if it hits something or someone. They crumple if they hit anything.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Unfortunatly HK is not Canada or Australia, and the practicalities of life here and roads are very different.
    While it would be fantastic if you could book a taxi with a carseat, I for one would hate it if it was law and you had to wait hours for your taxi to pick you up, (as happens often in Australia) just for a 15 min ride.
    It would get to the point where you just wouldn't go anywhere.

Of course we should use capsules and carseats for our babies and restraints for our older children when we can, but I suspect those of you that are so judgemental of others either have cars, drivers, nannies, helpers, all of the above or have never had to travel with more than one child at a time!

On the topic of taxi drivers driving fast and dangerously, if you don't like the way he drives ask him to slow down and if he doesn't get out, and change taxis.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    I agree with Matty. I think it would be foolish to apply the standards of the USA or Australia to HK publkic transportation, where cars go much slower and for much shorter distances in HK.

I traveled w/ my two children on minibuses, buses, MTR and taxis and it would have been a big burden for me to haul around a car seat in addition to the ~ 60 lbs combined kid-weight.

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    yes, i'm interested to in getting the government to tighten the carseat safety issues. I know soooooooo-oo many people who thinks I'm just being overprotective with this car seat issue and that i'm giong overboard by not willing to take my baby in the taxi without a carseat with us! This is a constant arguement that I have with my inlaws...
    And you know the funny thing about the adult seatbelt mandatory thing- you know how the taxi allows 5 passengers? well, most wil seat 4 at the back and 1 in front, but there are only 3 seatbelts in the back. Many ppl don't realize that 2 ppl are suppose to sit in front but the taxi drivers never say anything!

I've just read the website and it's crazy, they actually say that children under 2 years old if need to sit in front must be securing fasten using proper restraint! They didn't mentioned anything about risks of airbags-only dashboard risks! This is unreal!

I think it's unreal how the HK Government doesn't educate people about the importance of the mandatory use of carseats for babies. People are not very knowledgable about this and it's not about convenience , it's about putting babies' safety FIRST! I'm not trying to be judgmental- but it's a fact that babies placed in carseats are 75% safer than not in one when accidents occur.

niutalent is offline Registered User
    I agree with you eplo19!

I am always incredulous when I see people holding their baby sitting in the front seat of a taxi! And they are often not even using a seatbelt for themselves! Amazing...

And no, I do NOT have my own car or driver (I wish!) but take public transportation all the time - taxis, buses, MTR etc.

As my child is almost 8 mos old and can still fit in the carseat I'm fine for now but I do struggle what I will have to do when she grows out of it. Agree that there are not really that many options...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast