Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

taxi rides

eplo19 is offline Registered User
    Niutalent- how do you travel with your baby in the taxi and buses- are buses safe without the carseat? Do you just put your child in their stroller or what? I take mainly the MTR or walk as like you I don't have my own car or driver (I wish too!).. but sometimes, I get my friends to pick me up where I would installed the carseat in their car.... like you I'm concern about when my 1/2 months old outgrow her carseat.. but my carseat doens't fit into the taxis here.. what brand is your carseat- it fits into the taxis?

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi eplo19- we have the maxi cost cabrio and it fits in taxis...which maxi cosi do you have?

Some taxi seatbelts are not long enough for it, but the majority are. Have only been in maybe two taxis where it hasn't fitted.

My son is 5 mnths and fast outgrowing his car seat/bugaboo combination and really don't know what we are going to do. I know baby seatbelts are one option, but they don't offer the same kind of protection as a car seat. We shall just have to make the decision not to travel to taxi which is not so difficult in HK!

Am with the need for tougher laws in HK regarding children in taxis and cars....not sure why HK thinks it doesn't need them and why there are none in place!

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    what about those of us with twin babies and no car/driver? I'm all panicked now reading this thread.

However we're usually in a taxi for maybe 10 or max 15 mins and rarely go out (because there are two babies...)

BLC
    BLC is offline Registered User
    We have the joey safe when we travel by taxi.
    Here are a few tips to make it easier for you.

Depending on where you live order a taxi to your place then they will have to wait for you to be ready.

When you are on your way home, always get a cab from a taxi rank.

Keep the door open until everyone is in. They won't drive away with the door open.

Ignore the taxi driver if he is telling you to hurry, aslong as the taxi driver is not stopped illegally or unsafe it won't matter.

In an ideal world every taxi would have a baby seat but as there aren't any laws in HK that is just a dream.

There are many of us that have to rely on public transport and do not have the means to carry large car seats around with us. Travel as much as you can by mtr and bus and save the taxi for the last resort.

South side is offline Registered User
    It's not a case of being judgemental, it's down to what type of risks you're prepared to take with your children and whether you can live with yourself should the worst happen. I hope that it will never be an issue and that we will never be in a crash, but I could not possibly go on if my children were killed because I thought it was inconvenient to strap them in as best as I could.

To Matty, we have 3 children, no nanny, driver etc. The youngest is the easiest, because of the baby car seat and buggy option. I think we'll stick with this for as long as possible. The other 2 used to travel with Joeysafes but now we've found Safety 1st Tote 'n' Go's, which feel safer (hope that no. 3 will transfer into this whenh the capsule is too small). Thankfully, we've never had to test them on impact.

I guess it's a personality thing. Many people ignore the 'what not to eat rules' while pregnant with no negative consequences. I'm in the 'what if?' category and just want to know that I've taken every reasonable step to avoid anything going wrong. There are too many things beyond my control, not to take every precaution where I can. Most accidents happen within a few miles of home, so knowing that we are always taking short journeys is of no comfort to me.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    Sure it's better to be safe!

I'm wondering how my brother and I survived growing up without car seats in HK..... My poor Mother!

Anyway, that aside, what the hell is a Joeysafe? Or a Safety 1st Tote 'n' Go's? I've never even heard of them till this thread!

jojo72 is offline Registered User
    Would anybody really want to put their baby into a carseat that lives in the back of a HK taxi?
    How often do you think it would get cleaned? Mmm very hygenic!
    If every taxi in HK had a carseat how pleased do you think the 99% of travellers without children would be?

Lets use some commonsense people.

You do the best you can in the environment that we have to live in here in HK.
    With my first baby I too was adamant that you must use a car seat in a taxi. But if all of us are honest, once we've had a 2nd child or our first has outgrown their carseat you find yourself restraining your toddler in a regular seat belt.

Or perhaps you find yourself out somewhere with only your baby bjorn, and find yourself taking an unplanned taxi ride?

We have enough to make us feel guilty and inadequate as moms as it is.
    Let's stop playing the I'm a good mom your a bad mom game and accept that this is where we live and this how it is.

Nula is offline Registered User
    Here is a link I have found very useful at explaining restraints and giving you options in taxis etc.

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis_5.html

FYI - the safety 1st tote and go is not recommended by the site nor is it rated highly by parents who have bought it.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast