Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Double strollers - side by side or back to front?

BWC
    BWC is offline Registered User

Double strollers - side by side or back to front?

I am about to give birth to baby #2 and our 2 children will be 14 months apart. So I will need a double stroller. Does anyone have opinions as to whether I should buy one with seats side by side or back and front? Also any brands you can recommend?

Thanks.

Tisha is offline Registered User
    Dear BWC,

When my 2nd one was born we got a double stroller as well as our kids are 18 months apart. Ours a back and front seating one. The older child could sit behind whilst the newborn's back seat could recline all the way back. We ended up using the double stroller for only 6 months because by then our older child could stand on the buggy board which attaches to any single stroller. Only problem with front and back seating ones is that once your older child becomes a bit too heavy it becomes pretty difficult to menuevre.

I've heard many good things about the Mclaren Twin stroller which is pretty lightweight and easy to fold up. Hope this helps!

Tisha

BWC
    Thank you Tisha. That helps a great deal!

odm_post is offline Registered User
    Our girls are also 14 months apart. Considered about getting a double stroller as well, but ended up with neither front& back or side by side. We find both types are way too big (in width or length) for use anywhere in HK!

I'd recommend you to get another stroller for the elder one. That's what we did! We let the 2nd one use the older stroller (GRACO) as it can be fully reclined, and get a lightweight umbrella stroller (VOLO McLaren) for the 1st one.
    We also bought the buggy board - only used it for 2-3 months :( It's really a waste for us as no.1 got tired from standing too long, that's why at the end we just decided to get a second stroller.

Hope this helps

BWC
    Thanks so much...it does help. I have been reluctant about getting a double stroller simply because my 1 year old will barely sit in it anymore alone, much less with a newborn next to him. May end up going with 2 like you. Thanks for the feedback.

JennyB is offline Registered User
    It may depend on where you live - do you have a lift? If so, which type will fit into it most easily? Do you have a narrow entrance door? Will you often want to push the pushchair along crowded pavements? Will you often go out alone with both of them together for long periods? If no to the latter, you could carry #2 in a sling or other carrier if it's only for short journeys, or put #2 in the stroller when #1 is happy to walk. By the time your #2 is too heavy to be carried, your #1 may be happier walking for longer.