Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

SIS or ESF ??

singapore-mom is offline Registered User

Wink SIS or ESF ??

Am from Singapore and my daughter is born in HK. She is starting nursery in Starters kindergarten this september. However, she was offered a place in ESF kindergarten in the afternoon session.

Can anyone tell me how is the ESF kindergarten in Sheung Wan?

We would like her to study prep year in Singapore international school after her nursery soon, which is more academically inclined.

But, we are also interested in ESF's curiculum and it's program offered in primary session.

Does anyone has any first-hand experiences in ESF kindergarden, primary, SIS and starters kindergarten?

sunrays is offline Registered User

Hi Singapore-mom,

Check out this thread. I think it will answer some of your questions

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread118369.html

Sunrays

singapore-mom is offline Registered User

Wink

Hi Sunrays,

Thanks for the thread.

Based on your reply (pls see below), does a HK-born child to a Singaporean fare an equal chance of getting a place as compare to a Singapore PR or citizen child?

Quote :
    "If you are Singaporean your child will not fail the interview, even if shy. The success rate at interview depends on the number of spaces they have for that year. Most schools will call your child for interview. Teachers are experienced at dealing with shy kids and it is very normal, especially with the younger kids."

sunrays is offline Registered User

If I remember correctly, as the school gets some funding from the Singapore government, they have to accept Singaporean children. So no it is not equal....theoretically the Singaporean kids automatically get in as the school is providing them with the Singaporean education which may be needed if they return.

Hope that helps,

Sunrays

kara23 is offline Registered User

My son goes to SIS, and we are not Singaporean. I think half his class are not from Singapore anyway. He went for the interview when he was 3 1/2. He is really happy there and I am satisfied with the curriculum as compared to ESF or Canadian Intl. But I know parents whose kids go to those schools are happy with their choice too, so it all depends what you want for your kids. Although many ppl think that SIS stresses more on academics, I find they actually do emphasize on extra curricular activities.

Gina is offline Registered User

Hi,

I am a Singaporean. If you intend to go back Singapore in the future, my advise is to send your child to SIS. Basically, all ESF school run the same curriculum. SIS is definitely more academically inclined as compared to ESF. I just felt that ESF is not academicall inclined. As a result, I have to sent my girl to other classes such as Mandarin, Kumon Mathematics etc in order to keep her occupy as she has no homework to do and she is asking me to give her homework!

rani is offline Administrator

D started at ESF Kindergarten in Jan.

I have nothing but praises for ESF. Within the first month we noticed a major transformation in D. He’s become so independent and full of confidence. He insists on doing everything by himself and overall he’s a much happier child.

At ESF the kids learn through play. Every couple of weeks they have a new theme. This month they’re focusing on old tales, and each activity is centered around the theme. Last week the focus was on “The Three Little Pigs” and D was running around the house trying to “huff and puff” everything down.

This week he’s been sharing the story of the “Little Red Hen” with us. That’s another change in D, he’s so excited about school he gives us a full report of his day, which he did not do while attending the playgroup.

There are about 24 children in D’s class with 1 teacher and 2 assistants. I know everyone focuses on the ratio, but honestly I think it’s over-rated. From our experience, if the dynamics are wrong in smaller group, your kid is left without options. In a larger group, atleast the child has an option of playing with other children!

The communication system at ESF is pretty impressive. We get notes in their diaries 2-3 times a week, some of these notes are stickers that they put into everyone’s notebook and some of them are personal observations.

Last edited by rani; 06-23-2006 at 07:52 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

jasminea is offline Registered User

im singaporean But may not send my kid back to SG for schooling,mabbe until much older.I have considered SIS and my husband very much preferred it to other international schools in the South.Now,that is a biased statement,i know.However,we still think the culture in SIS will evry much be suited to our kid.

Scroll to top