Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

C-section with spinal block or epidural?

mamaS is offline Registered User

C-section with spinal block or epidural?

Hello,

Anyone had C-section? and which anesthesia did you go for? spinal block or epidural? I don't even know what's the difference yet, but i heard spinal block's recovery is faster.

noella is offline Registered User

Hi I have had both! The spinal targets the area directly and cannot be topped up. Unfortunately when I had it done the bag of fluid which protects the spine was punctured causing the worst headache I have ever had and was only resolved by lying flat on my back for 3 days after coming out of hospital until the hole resealed! Epidural numbs more of your body and can be topped up. Pretty much the same sensation as the spinal but made me very nauseous after the baby was delivered. I think recovery is pretty much the same!

mulk is offline Registered User

I've had two c-sections (both emergency) and had epidurals with both. No problems during the sections or afterwards.

Good luck! Enjoy your baby!

mamaS is offline Registered User

Thanks..........

Noelle, which one will you opt for if you have a choice next time?

noella is offline Registered User

Thats a hard one, but probably the spinal because the area does not stay numb as long and I was so sick in the delivery room with the epidural!!! I think the chances of the bag of fluid being pierced is tiny! Good luck with your decision!

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User

I had c-section with general anaesthesia for my first 2 months ago, meaning going totally under and it wasn't for medical reasons, my doctor suggested that if I'm not that keen on hearing them in action and my husband isn't particular about being present, then I should get GA. Once I was in place at the operation theatre, I was given a mask to breathe into and I was out within secs. Woke up apparently 2 hours later feeling very sleepy and relieved that it was over...though there was pretty much no effort on my part, was glad that the baby was out and well. I did feel a slight tingling aching sensation at the incision but it was totally bearable. I didn't really feel much intense pain or at least not what I had expected until the 2nd day when I had to get off the bed to take my first steps, even then the pain was bearable. It took a full month for all the pain and discomfort to subside, It's now 2 months since I gave birth and I'm feeling 100%,....the only downside is having to lose post-pregnancy weight! Anyway, goodluck to you!