Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleep troubles

bailey is offline Registered User

Sleep troubles

My 15 month old baby keeps waking up at 5am. He goes down at 7pm as he's exhausted by then. He has a 20 minute nap at 9am then sometimes up to 2 hrs from about 12.30pm.

Could it be that when he's up at 5am, he's had enough to sleep? Can you do Control crying at 5am?

Any advise would be great.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

By 5 am your son has just had 10 hours sleep. Yes, I do think he is ready for the day. This is the dilemma of when to put children to sleep. Either early in the evening and get up early or late in the evening and get up late. You can’t have it both ways.
    Barb

BLC
    BLC is offline Registered User

Hi Bailey

Is he waking because he is hungry? My little girl would wake up a 5am and just make a lot of noise. I wouldn't go in to her room until she actually started to cry or make the I'm hungry cry. This would stretch it out to about 6am I even started pointing to her clock to let her know the time. Now she sleeps until anywhere between 6.00am and 7.00am. In typical baby fashion she knows to wake up at 6am on a sunday or on the morning after a night out.

She will always wake up at 6am or earlier if she goes to bed later than 7.00-7.30pm as I also tried keeping her up.

DTHY is offline Registered User

Perhaps you can try delaying his naps, e.g. morning nap at 9:30-10:00, then afternoon nap 1:00-3:00 and a bed time at 7:30. Take him out in the afternoon for a walk or to the playground. With the summer's early sunrise, the faintest light could cause your baby to wake during light sleep. Make sure that the baby's room is completely dark (not even a small gap from the curtains or the door).

Hope this helps. If you are really worried about it read up on Richard Ferber's "Solve your child's sleep problems"

Erin is offline Registered User

I think it depends on the child as far as how much sleep they need (and if he's ready for the day). My daughter will be three in October, she still goes to bed at 7pm, sleeps till 7am and has a two hour nap in the afternoon. The best gage for me as to if my kids are getting enough sleep is whether or not they are happy and well behaved.

You might try BCL's idea of doing a quick feed and change and seeing if he'll go back down. If he's just playing or even fussing just a bit, I'd turn leave him to play in his crib. Otherwise, maybe try shifting his whole schedual a bit later till you've got a better balance. I know its difficult to push bedtime when they seem so tired, but it doesn't have to be all at once. Try pushing bedtime 10 or 15 minutes later for a few days in a row. once they've adjusted to that, try pushing it again.

A 20 minute morning nap seens pretty short. He's probably wiped from getting up so early that he's taking a little cat nap. He might be ready to drop that nap if it weren't for the early mornings.

I'd agree with DTHY and particularly try to shift that afternoon nap till a little later. One trick that I once read about afternoon naps is to get your child in the habit of going down (starting your nap ritual) right after lunch. The'll start associating the two events together. It's then easy to have lunch a little earlier or later if you want to modify their nap schedual and they don't notice the change in routine.

Every time you get into a good groove something changes (teeth, sick, dropping naps, jet lag). Just remenber that you will get through this phase as exausting as it may be.