Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

shanghai with baby

mammalicious is offline Registered User

shanghai with baby

anyone been to shanghai with their little ones and can tell me where in shanghai is baby friendly eateries and where i can get some baby things while i'm there? i'll be on my own while hubby works during the day and early evening, plus cannot speak manderin. have a 10month old baby girl with me, still breastfeeding and also staying at the westin. anywhere near there that is worth going to, cheap-medium price range shopping and food.

also how are the locals there when seeing a mom breastfeeding in public?

thanks!

HKfornow is offline Registered User
    mammalicious, the Westin is close to the Bund and Nanjing Road. In China, it is often difficult to get a kid friendly restaurant as there are quite a few smokers there, so I've often ended up eating in the room.

Nanjing Road is a major shopping area, but it is a good 15-30 minutes walk. Baby might enjoy the mini train ride they have going up and down the 2-3 blocks strip (abt. 2 RMB 1 way). There are also fast food type places there in case you're interested (macdonalds, pizza hut, I think even yoshinoya + other Chinese ones). What specific baby stuff are you looking for? Keeping in mind Shanghai being the fashion conscious capital there, I did not see any significant bargains there to be had.

i guess like shoes, clothing and maybe some toys and books? i doubt that strollers will be any cheaper then hk so may as well not bother trying to lug it back to hk.

btw- is the tap water ok to feed baby if i'v boiled it? or should i just boil bottled water? problem i have is that i had read that we shouldn't feed baby mineral water which is the stuff sold in bottles ie bonaqua, evian etc.

superMaMa is offline Registered User
    There is a big shopping mall in Shanghai( all baby stuff, like toy,books,shoes,clothing-some export clothing). I've got the address in Chinese. If you dont speak Manderin, that can be a promblem.

The Shanghaines doesnt really drink the tap water . There drink distill water at work and at home.

You could use distill water for you baby.

i don't speak manderin but is it possible if you can send me that info and i can ask someone in myhusband's office to write it down in chinese?

thanks soooooo much!

superMaMa is offline Registered User
    Mammalicious:
    Please check your PM.

ontheroad is offline Registered User
    where have you read that you shouldn't feed evian to a baby? in france, evian's whole advertising is based on the fact that it's an excellent water for children, it even says on the bottles that it's the prefered brand pedeatricians recommend for making baby bottles with! and from experience living there, that's what 90% of mothers use!
    its recommended that you do not give them tap water at all, in the first couple of years of their life (unless well distilled), especially in countries like china!
    Last edited by ontheroad; 06-27-2006 at 09:51 PM.