Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Insurance questions

jaetee is offline Registered User

Insurance questions

Sorry for asking about maternity insurance again, but had a couple of questions:

1) Which insurance plan/company covers the most? I know many only cover part of the expenses, and am wondering which plan will cover the most.

2) Is there any plan that will cover from day 1, with no "waiting period" before conception?

thanks. :)

any suggestions/advice?

thanks. :)

AnitaC is offline Banned

You can use Global Health (AIG undewriters)

Global Health (AIG underwriters) offers very competitive offer. I have awfull a lot of research on medical covers and maternaty covers as I am financial adviser myself and I AM PREGNANT now!

Global Health still requests a 3 month waiting period before the insured gets pregnant. It is however the shortest among those international medical plan. I would not consider local insurance plans as the cover is too limited.

The highest cover is USD8,000 and itself is a very comprehensive medical cover for other matters. FYI, if you are around 30, the annual premium is around USD2,000. It is not cheap, but compared to other offers, this one is very acceptable.

Hope this helps.

crj
    crj is offline Registered User
    Allianz is one of the only policies that covers ALL maternity costs - highly recommended as a private delivery can be HKD 100,000.
    crj

Thanks for the suggestions. Any plans with no waiting periods at all?

thanks again.

AnitaC is offline Banned

I am afraid not

Sorry Jaetee, I am afraid they all have waiting period.

I have looked at Allianz. Cover is attracive but the premium is very high.

But how do some companies have policies which cover everything when an employee joins, even if the employee/his spouse is already pregnant? Anyone know how that works?

thanks again (and double thanks to Anita for the repeat reply. :) )

crj
    crj is offline Registered User
    If you want to make Allianz cheaper, then go for global coverage, excluding the USA. We only pay about 17,000 HKD per year, and considering it covered all maternity costs including our HKD 100,000 delivery it's a bargain! That doesn't even include all the pre and post natal visits, scans, tests, and it even covered home visit midwife service!

Personally, we wanted TOTAL coverage so we didn't have to worry if there were problems. All pre-natal visits, all scans, all tests, normal or c-section, complications, etc...

Do read the fine print, many policies only cover a limited amount and USD 8,000 does not go far in HK private hospitals.

Now saying all that Queen Mary is excellent medical care, so without insurance you can still have a baby with superb medical care.

Waiting periods vary but most are about 10 months. Again, read the fine print - some will cover all the pre-natal costs, just not the delivery until 10 months. others will not cover the pre-natal costs until 10 months.

Corporate plans are different - they have a much large policy with the entire company and don't require the waiting periods. BUT not all corporate plans are created equal - again, read the fine print to see what is actually covered. Some of our friends have been shocked to learn that they were not fully covered when they thought they were.

Good luck
    crj