Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Where are you, August Moms?

mamamei is offline Registered User
    Hi bbvv, I am finding it harder to sleep too as I wake myself up every time I shift from one side to the right! My back is holding up ok (I am convinced this is a big benefit of practising yoga for many years) but it is a little awkward having to hoist myself up without being to use my stomach muscles.

We have a vague idea about names but are finding that it is much easier to choose a girl's name than it is to choose a boy's one. Doesn't help much considering that I am convinced I am carrying a boy! My parents are in charge with coming up with a Chinese name but they have been a bit slack. Must get on their case, as it is really not very long now untl the baby is born!

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Hi mamamei, so are you originally from HK and do you work? I was born in Somerset, UK, worked in London and moved to HK to work 6 years ago. No regrets - the main reason was my husband who's from HK but at the time we weren't married yet.

Well, just under a month before I take my maternity leave plus a month's annual leave on top. HK's 10 weeks statutory maternity leave is pretty digusting - in UK, we can get 26 weeks plus you can take a further 26 weeks off.

Baby has been pretty active since 18 weeks - he kicks or punches really hard at times - you can really see the movement on my tummy. I'm enjoying it whilst it last as I hear that in the last few weeks there won't be so much movement as they have less space to move around. Have you tried placing a torch light on your tummy - ours always reacts to it.

Hey bbvv, I grew up in HK before going to university and working in the UK. Moved back here about 5 years ago with my English boyfriend (now my husband!) in tow. We love it here. Was back in London at the beginning of the month and couldn't imagine having kids there, and having to bump a stroller up and down the steps on the tube every time I wanted to go out.

Like you, I am working now -- in fact, because of how easy my pregnancy seems to be going, I am planning on working right up until I give birth so I can stretch my maternity leave out for as long as possible! I agree -- HK maternity leave is super stingy, but no less so than the US, who I believe are entitled to about the same amount of leave. If only I worked for a Scandinavian company like a friend of mine, who has TWO YEARS maternity leave ...and a further two years if she chooses to have another child straight after!

Our little one is squiggling around as I type. Seems to have loads of energy as I feel movement throughout most of the day. I have also heard that the movement slows down as space becomes restricted, and like you, I think I will definitely miss the feeling. Ooh, I haven't tried the torch trick yet, but my husband has been putting iPod earphones on my belly before we go to sleep since we found out I was pregnant and Baby always responds to that right away. Lately, I think it's starting to get sick of 'The Dark Side of the Moon'... the kicks are definitely becoming stronger...!

Our company policy for taking maternity leave is between 2 to 4 weeks before estimated due date so I'm taking the minimum. I guess they don't want any unexpected deliveries in the office which I can understand.

Have you decided to go for a natural birth or a C-section. I'm opting for a natural birth as you recover quicker from it. Do you plan to breastfeed? I hope I will be able to and not give up too easily as breastfeedling is good for both mothers and babies. I have brought feeding bottles and formulas incase it doesn't work out.

Have you put on much weight? I've put on 25lbs so far at 34 weeks. People say I don't look pregnant from behind - this tends to happen if you are carrying a boy.

So do you have to go through the chinese tradition of staying at home for a month after the birth, not washing your hair for a month and bathing with ginger boiled water. My mother-in-law insist on this, however, I am allowed to wash my hair once a week as long as I dry it thoroughly afterwards - this I think is not even enough considering this heat we have at the moment. Guess I have to stick with it as it's supposed to prevent me from having rheumatism and arithritis in my old age!

My parents will be visiting HK for a couple of months as it's their first grandchild - how about your in-laws?

It has been a while since anybody has been pregnant in this office and I am half convinced that the reason they are letting me stick around until the end is because my colleagues are super-excited at the thought that I might go into labour at work and that they'll have to rush me to hospital like in a movie.

I am also hoping for a natural delivery -- part of the reason I chose to give birth at a public hospital. Bizarrely, 5 out of 5 of my friends who have given birth at a private hospital have had c-sections because 'labour wasn't progressing', whilst 3 out of 3 of my friends who have given birth at a public hospital have had natural births! Obviously if a medical emergency calls for it then I will have no second thoughts about a C-section. Minimum fuss and a healthy baby are all I am really gunning for at this stage.

I have put on 22 pounds at 32 weeks, so now that I am 34 weeks, I suspect our weight gain is pretty close! I have also been told that it is all my weight gain is in my belly and boobs, but I personally think I have put on weight all round. In photos, my face looks rounder than it used to, and I DEFINITELY can't squeeze my butt into my old low-cut jeans!

Nobody in my family seems to have a clue about the traditional confinement month, so it doesn't look like I will be getting any pampering on that end. I have Hulda from Annerley Midwives doing my postnatal visits, and my grandma has been cooking vinegar ginger eggs for months already, but that is about it!

You must be really happy that your folks are coming out here for so long-- I feel so lucky that my parents are walking distance from our apartment. Don't know how I would cope at the beginning without them! My in-laws are coming out to meet the baby in October, which will give us time to settle down and get things in order. It was a really generous gesture for them to offer to come later, since I don't know if I would be able to cope with both sets of parents bouncing off the walls at the same time.

How are you feeling this week? I am definitely feeling heavier… more pelvic pressure. The end is definitely in sight!

Our office has been having baby booms every year so far. We have 3 in the office expecting this year and a couple of males whose wives have given brith in the last two months. I see lots of pregnant women in HK this year or maybe it's because I am pregnant and I notice more bumps on the streets.

I chose public because my private OB is popular in giving C-sections - seems that private doctors don't like to hang around too long. Public tend to go for natural delivery unless an emergency C-section is required. I am now going to QE on a weekly basis for check-ups - quite boring with all the waiting...

My feet, legs and fingers started swelling mildly last week - they say it's water retention - I drink a lot of water during the day and rush to the loo more often now. Like you most of my weight has gone onto my belly and boobs - I weighed 28lbs at 35 weeks - been told that the weight tends to pile on more later in the pregnancy.

Gosh, can't believe that I have a month to go - counting the days and looking forward to seeing my little darling enter the world. I have so much love to give to him. Do you intend to have more children? I would like another one as I always think one child can be very lonely and spoiled.

orionbynight is offline Registered User

Red face

hi you two,

thought i'd join you in this forum. i am due in august too, and am having mine at the queen mary. it's my third baby there, and have been going to the tsan yuk for antenatal check ups. don't want to put you off, but have to tell you about the battle i've had with my current doctor there.

since i had two caesareans previously, the doctor i saw this time (who actually performed my first caesarean) has been trying to force me into having a early scheduled caesarean third time round, which i know is their normal policy. but i found his way of trying to force me to agree quite appalling using scare tactics and trying to make me feel guilty incase something happened to me or the baby. i couldn't believe some of the things he was coming out with.

luckily for me i had seen a very well known private doctor and annerley midwives previously and am a little more educated about the possibilty and risks involved in trying for natural labour after two c-sections, even though it is not normal practice in hk.

so a word of advice to you two, don't just take their advice without question. make sure there is a valid reason if they tell you you need a caesarean as it could affect the way you deliver second or third time around. although after one caesarean they normally let you try natural if you really want second time around, but definitely not third time,it's a big no no. i have to add that recovery after caesarean is really painful and i know other people who have had bad experiences like me feeling like they have had no alternative. so definitely go for natural if you can.

i already have two boys and don't know what i am having this time round, thought it would be nice to have surprise as it maybe our last! i am bbc from london too, came to hk 9 years ago never thinking i'd be here this long, now living on lamma island where it's a great place to bring up kids, with all the space and sense of community.

when are you guys due again? i'm due on 10 august.

Hi orionbynight - i'm due on 9th Aug and will be taking my maternity leave next Wed with an extra month off on top - the statutory maternity leave stinks over here - 10 weeks, which is barely enough.

Just hope my boy will want to see the world on around due day. It's my first so don't really know what to expect.

Gosh, your 3rd child - you must be a very experienced mother. So what made you move out to HK? HK is great - it's so convenient but I do miss home sometimes especially the cosiness and the peacefulness. It's too overcrowded over here and this horrible heat and humidity at the moment is worse for us pregnant ladies.

We should keep in touch and maybe one day once we are all settled we can meet up with one another with our babies and share experiences.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast