Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

coming off the pill

ct1
    ct1 is offline Registered User

coming off the pill

hi,

am thinking of going off the pill now to help me lose weight as well as in preparation for starting to try and get pregnant 9-12 months from now.

Is there any reason why I can't just stop taking the pill? should i speak to my doctor first. Do i need to come off the pill in a specific way?

sorry if this is a dumb question.

thanks, ct1

fee
    fee is offline Registered User

I just went 'cold turkey' both times I stopped taking the pill (to get pregnant). Word of warning - if your periods are irregular your best opportunity to get pregnant is the first month off the pill, while your body is still used to being in the 28 day cycle mode.

turtle is offline Registered User

My doctor told me to just stop taking the pill after my cycle had finished. He also recommended that I take folic acid immediately as latest research is saying it is a huge benefit.

Beware, I came off the pill thinking that it would take me at least 6-12 months to conceive and I got pregnant in the first month My husband was in shock for quite some time!!

Good luck xxx

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

I also came off the pill believing we had anywhere up to a year before getting pregnant- but it didn't take long, second month of trying!

I just stopped taking it.

gidget is offline Registered User

While there does seem to be a a fair bit of evidence for the first cycle coming off of the pill to be a 'hyper one' for falling pregnant, {proof posted above!!} I think you are doing the right thing coming off of the pill early.

I have heard far more stories about the pill really screwing up peoples cycle, than 'success with the first cycle' stories, and wish I'd taken the time before actively starting TTC to get it 'out of my system'. I have long / irregular cycles and it took me 14 months to fall pregnant. I really wish, I'd come off of the pill 6 months earlier.

Anyway, to answer your question, it is fine to just finish the month you are on, when ready to stop taking the pill and then just stop using it.

ct1
    ct1 is offline Registered User

Thanks all!

undecided is offline Registered User

Hi!

I've also just stopped taking the pill after my period was finished. It's been two months now and I did not really feel anything different. Did not go to a doctor either. I wanted to give my body some time off the pill before getting pregnant.

We're planning to start trying in a couple months, so we're back to the condom now...

Last edited by undecided; 07-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.

cristletips is offline Registered User

Took me 2 months after I stopped taking the pill. In fact call it 1 month because I used condoms for 1 month.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast