Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Trying to wean my baby

mhotak is offline Registered User
    Bayonne, NJ

Unhappy Trying to wean my baby

Hello everyone,
    I just signed up with this site. I am not quiet sure how it works, but I am posting this message, hopefully I will get a reply. And, thanks in advance.

My son is approaching 8 months, in 3 days. I found out four weeks ago that I was pregnant for the second time. I have been breastfeeding this whole time, of course, exclusively for the first six months and then I started adding solids besides breast millk. Anyhow, I have been trying to introduce my son to formula, all different types in every possible way I could and have failed. My son has been stuck in the same weight for about month and a half and he refuses to eat anything but cling on my breasts for hours...which is very painful since the milk supply is very low. Another thing is that my son is also teething, so I do not know what approach to take or what to do?

Anyone with any suggestions, please let me know...i would really appreciate it.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Dear mhotak,

It is always best to wean as slowly as possible. This helps both the mother and the baby come to terms with this new stage of life.

I recommend looking at the book, The Nursing Mother’s Guide to Weaning, by Kathleen Huggins and Linda Ziedrich. This book discusses reasons for weaning as well as reasons to delay weaning; offers practical and helpful advice that respects the needs and feelings of both mother and child. Each chapter is dedicated to babies of different ages. This is helpful as techniques which work for young babies don’t really work with older babies.

LLL in Hong Kong has this book for sale and also available to members in the library. If you are interested in this book please contact either:
    Sarah – 2548-7636 in Mid-levels or
    Maggie – 2817-7475 in Happy Valley
    Or [email protected]

We have a pamphlet called Breastfeeding Through Pregnancy and Beyond by The Australian Breastfeeding Association which you also might be interested to read.

Best wishes,