Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Adopting a Child

sunniefaith is offline Registered User

Thanks Daizy! Appreciate it. How old was your baby boy when you brought him home?

carang is offline Registered User

i think that you are an exception to the rule, Daizy... as i know about 5-10 couple that have adopted in HK and ALL of them had to wait for 18 months before the paperwork could be submitted

Daizy is offline Registered User

He was only 2 months old.

I know what you mean carang but all I did was ask them (over the phone) why wait 18 months, she said because you need to get familiar with HK resources and I said I am familiar, her supervisor called me later and we had a conversation and they let us start :) so I guess we were lucky.

But here is some other info I got just a couple months back about waiting to be matched with a baby from my case worker.

1st priority goes to Chinese couples with no kids
    2nd to foreign couples with no kids
    3rd couples who have adopted child/children
    4th couples who have biological kids and want to adopt

So I'm Singaporean and I've been married for about 4 years and I don't have kids as well. To be honest, we haven't even bother to try. We just want to adopt a child. But at this point of time, my husband may not join me in HK. Will that affect my chances? Thanks Daizy!

Hey, the process starts with the couple attending 3 trainings, after you finish attending them you submit some paper work, once a case worker is assigned then the interviews begin. They will interview you as a couple, separtely, interview a friend and do a home visit. Once they are convinced you have a solid marriage and believe you are able to handle adoption and have a stable house/income then they approve your application and after that matching process begins. Husband and wife are required to attend everything togather, so it would be best if your husband is in HK. I believe they also have a certain age requirment I know parents have to be over 25 years of age but not sure what the maximum age is. If you have any other questions, let me know :)

Daizy, thanks a great deal! We're planning to adopt in about 2 years' time. Oh, actually, i've one question. I'm a Sporean and if i adopt the child from HK, does he or she follow our citizenship? I keep getting confuse over this point.

Hi sunniefaith, good question. After you meet your baby and take him home you will sign some documents saying you will be taking care of this child, the official adoption papers won't be signed yet for another six months. During these six months the case worker will visit you once a month to check on the baby and how the couple is getting along. Also during these six months you are not allowed to take the child abroad. At the begining of the six months the case worker will ask you if you want to apply for a Hong Kong passport for the child, if you say yes then they will apply for a HK passport under the child's current name. After the six months is over and your adoption has been finalized they will give you the passport and you may travel with it. If you want to change the child's name to something different you may do so at that time.

Since my husband has an American passport we applied for an American passport for our son and got it. He now has a HK SAR passport and a US passport. Some parents prefer to only have their native nationality but I personally think a HK passport is good (it allows him to go to china without visa but with a special long term card) and other benefits. I don't know if singapore allows duabl citizenship, you will have to see which passport would work out better for your family.

Good luck for your adoption. HK has one of the best Adoption programs, very effecient :)

Red face

Thanks so so much! Really appreciate all the information that's given!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast